Why become a member? ×

set-up kit

Nicodemus17

Apologies if this has been covered already, or in the wrong section.
What tools do i need to set up my bass, raising lowering action, adjusting intonation etc.
ive mangaged to find a video guide from elixir strings on youtube, and im pretty confident I could do this myself.
Thanks in advance for any input.

Its quite straightforward. Just take your time.

Tools needed will be a tuner and guitar cable; suitable screwdrivers and allen keys.

Depending on the type of bass you have will determine the exact type of screwdriver and size of allen keys.
The string height should be adjusted first.
Play all the notes on each string as you adjust and best result is no buzzing on any of the frets.
To adjust intonation use the tuner and press and play the 12th note of a string, followed by the harmonic on same fret.They both should be as close as possible to each other on the readout.
To make them match up you will need to move the bridge saddles that the strings rest on, backwards or forwards.

If there is a problem with the neck relief then this will require a truss-rod adjustment. This is best left to a guitar tech who would set bass up at same time.

Hope this helps.

Bass, tuner, lead, capo, screwdriver, allen keys, feeler gauges, ruler. All I needed to buy was a decent ruler (i.e. one where the measurements start right at the end) and the feeler gauges (for measuring the gap between string and fret when checking relief).

I used [url="http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-setup-guide/"]Fender's setup guide [/url]and, even without pictures or video, it makes perfect sense. I say that as a complete DIYphobe but this job is pretty straightforward, will save you lots of money in tech costs and give you a better understanding of how your bass is put together.

Edited by SoVeryTired