Why become a member? ×

Refinishing a jazz neck with low friction: what to use?

Ashwood1985

Yeh I removed all the laquer (save of course of the front of the head) then I applied the linseed heavily with a yellow duster cloth, let it sit for 10 minutes then buffed it for a solid 5 minutes (again with a yellow duster)

Feels like a new bass now! :) even if my misus is wondering where all the yellow dusters are disappearing to!

Edited by Ashwood1985

I took the neck off the bass and removed all hardware so I could do a clean job as I didn't like the idea of leaving finish in the joins with the body etc or damaging the finish on the body by accident. Plus it helped with maniurverability as I could lay the neck flat down on a dense thin layer of foam and work the finish off without the body getting in the way. I also used low tack masking tape on the fretboard to stop wood from the sanding filling the grain.

Just used plain old pure raw linseed oil. Apparently the boiled stuff will do exactly the same job but just add a slightly darker tint to the wood.

Shiny or Matt? Well I guess he answer would be Matt although there's not much of a 'finish' as one might expect. Rather the wood just feels less raw but still feels like good honest wood!

Edited by Ashwood1985

Yeah lovely - for this bass anyway.

I have a laquered Pbass as well as my ACG, then theres the Jazz and a thumb which are of course both natural finish with oil and wax respectively.

It's a LOT smoother than the old, patchy feeling laquer finish that was on there before so I'm happy :) Plus there is something a little special about feeling the wood under your left thumb ;)