Why become a member? ×

4 String Lacewood Burr Build

scojack

This will be my last project before the winter hibernation sets in. There were a few bits on the wood pile that really needed used up.....

33 " Scale 4 String

Body
London Plane
Olive Ash

Neck
Padauk
London Plane

Still trying to use native species and keep the air miles down decided on some gnarly London Plane for the top. There is some nice burr on this with some interesting swirly grain and a little of the Lacewood pattern...

Rippled Olive Ash on the back,...

I wasn't able to salvage enough Ash for the Control cavity cover so i'll use some Pippy Plane to go with the headstock veneers.
After a good few tweaks i now finally have a shape that i am very happy with, so this was commited to a template, which i then used to rough out the body.

Padauk neck...with template

and finally the headstock veneers taken from the same London Plane board ..

Should get the majority of this finished this year .......although applying the finish is another matter.

Hope youz enjoy ..

IanM

Edited by scojack

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Carving the neck..
I use a series of bevels to start. This is the best method for me, i find it gives me more control over the finished neck.
Once marked I use a tenon saw to make depth cuts then hog out with a chisel...
This is an asymetric neck (if your wondering why it looks a bit skew-wiff)

Its then just a matter of fine carving to make it smooth, i use a cabinet scraper for this..

Edited by scojack

Cheers :)
Can't wait to get some lacquer on it see how it comes out, probably wont be until next Spring now.... unless i can get a heated place to do it :(
I have a couple of EMG HZ's to try on this, probably go for a Kent Armstrong preamp but thats way off yet.
IanM

Will Resume in Spring 2013 !!

Edited by scojack