Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried a Vox pathfinder 10?

Dom in Dorset

I'm thinking of getting a little practice amp , I do a lot of quiet stuff with acoustic musicians , I want to leave my big amp over at the loud band's regular rehearsal room to make space at home.
A guitarist I know has a tiny Vox amp that makes a surprisingly good noise , the pathfinder seems like a good deal.
Anyone tried one?
http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Vox-Pathfinder-10-Bass-Combo-Amp-with-FREE-6m-Instrument-Cable/N2W

I just picked up a Pathfinder 10B second-hand for £30 for the same reason you're looking at one - I wanted a cheap, light combo to use for acoustic jams.

They're not bad little amps. I wouldn't say the tone is anything to write home about, but you do get a surprisingly good bass response from the 2x 5" speakers. Even an open E has a decent amount of volume.

To be honest, the overdrive sounds pretty poor when cranked, although you can get just a little bit of bite out of it, and to my ears the bright switch is horrible. But the basic tone is certainly usable with more than enough volume to keep up with acoustic practices.

It's also light as a feather.

Bizarrely I've actually used mine for the last two gigs we did. Obviously mic'd up! We did some recording for a Springsteen tribute album and it was used for that too. It's a nice little practice amp and holds up well in acoustic jams too (see video of my mob rehearsing a couple of weeks back)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZN3pykjOHCw&feature=g-user-u[/media]