Why become a member? ×

Im happy...but how/why has this pedal arrangement worked?

Mod_Machine

Hi,
Ive had an issue with my small clone in that it seemed too extreme even on its lowest depth and rate setting and wasnt even across the range....ie if i rolled up to about the 15th fret on d string i would loose it in the mix, hit the 13th fret on the A string though and it would boom all over the mix.

I was running the arrangement like this (based on best advise of set ups):-

mustang bass-> Marshall compressor->Behringher tuner (so so sorry)->EHX Bass Big Muff->EHX Small Clone->Marshall Delay->ashdown amp

Was going to get rid of the small clone, or maybe mod to create a better blend with the dry tone, or get a LS2 blend/loop pedal but hadnt got round to it.

In rehearsal with same amp bass etc set up i had 10 mins to play around and as I knew the space and knew where the note volumer/presence was 'going missing' i tried moving it around a bit. After some trial and error ultimately moving every pedal arround i ended up with the following arrangement which has knocked the small clone into a lovely usable pedal on bass. The chorus is really not noticable on lower depth selection til rate is about quarter of the way up, Its then dead subtle building til about half way up where its a little extreme for my liking and by about 3/4 of the way up is in P Hook land!

mustang bass->EHX Small Clone->behringer tuner->marshall Compressor->EHX big muff->Marshall Delay->Ashdown amp

Thing is its also now dead even across all the range! Im chuffed i have got what i want, BUT its frustrating as to how/why its happened and doesnt sit well with my OCD as i know it shouldnt be arranged like that. lol

As soon as i put the tuner in front of the chorus (anywhere in the arrangement) the subtlty is gone and the inconsistent notes reappear, but likewise if i put the tuner at the end of the chain i still suffer the same probs....its like the tuner HAS to be the next on in line after the chorus to make the chorus managable! so now my cheap short term tuner seems to be my life saver?!!

Anyone know why this is?

Perfection is not perfect!

I'm not sure why you are worried about this. It works for you so stick with it. Not everything in life needs an explanation. There are no shoulds or shouldn'ts about anything. If there were the wheel would never have been invented.

You have experimented and found the right formula for you. That's all that matters.

Absolutely. No one way is right. You have to try every combination before you settle on an order.

It's not just how one effect sounds ran into another, but also how different effects sound with a different number of buffers before/after them. Your chorus may now not be suffering from impedance issues as you buffered pedals have evened it out just right for the pedal/bass combination.

Lol....it was more the bizzareness of having the tuner after the chorus...but still at the front of the chain..
As i say im happy its all ok (though now dont want to change the tuner incase i risk returning it to flanging across the notes!)
Just wondered if there was a theoretical reason i had overlooked.....id been checking everywhere over the net for a solution and got nothing though i guess it does explain why there is such a marmite love or hate vibe with bass players and this pedal!

Well it is a behringer tuner...defo not a true bypass...further development...the tuner being a behringer was pretty noisey when powered off the daisy chain and needed a 9v battery to keep quiet....but that hiss has now also gone.....making my whole pedal chain noticably much quieter...all very peculiar and the best happy accident ive had in a while!