Why become a member? ×

New player - advice on starter bass

Jonnyboy Rotten

The new one has the 5 knobs and different shaped pickups. I had one of the original ones with the 4 knobs and the old one has the bass and treble control on one split knob if I remember right. The old pickups were more curved at the top and bottom and I couldn`t get my thumb to rest on the top of it without sticking a plectrum in the gap between the body and the top of the pickup. A problem for me, mabye not for someone else.

The weather is crap up here today and the photo`s I have taken of my black (or is it pewter?) SR are not very good but hopefully these will give you an idea of the colour.

As I said before, these are excellent value for money and having used it a few times in the studio, I am well impressed.

[attachment=122437:SAM_0554.JPG][attachment=122438:SAM_0555.JPG]

Edited by jezzaboy

The SRs are great, I've got the 400, pretty sure the only difference between mine and the 300 is the quilted maple top and the trans lavender finish, and I love it, lot of bass for the price. The cheaper models can be picked up so cheaply too, gumtree and eBay are full of them.

If you can find one the EDB550 is awesome too. Neck profile is similar to the SRs, they're active, have Duncan p'ups and they're cheap second hand too, not very popular though. The 550 and 555 (to my knowledge) were the only ones made of wood (they're light ash), the rest were luthite. Great tone and real easy to play, and lightweight for a bass too, changing to mine from a 4 string BTB is like swapping a brick for helium balloon.

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1349283105' post='1824293']
Hi Guys,

I am as fresh to the bass scene as it gets but I have a few mates who play electric guitar but not bass.

I want to play mainly hard rock/metal but I will possibly use in my church music group too.

These are the models I am considering, has anyone got any experience of these models (good or bad) and which would be the best option?

1) Epiphone Toby Deluxe IV (probably my favourite in terms of how it looks)
2) ESP Ltd B-10
3) Ibanez GSR200
[/quote]

As it would seem Basschat is devoid of LTD players I can tell you from loving experience they are built and feel better (more natural on the hands) than Ibanez...But in this instance I'd say not to go for that model.
It's a P-bass in a different shape, which won't give you the array of tones a beginner should be exposed to.

May I suggest a Yamaha RBX170? 24 frets, P/J combination and a lovely neck. Balances right and doesn't fatigue the player, stays in tune etc.
I had one as my 1st bass and learnt everything on it from Iron Maiden to Victor Wooten. It's retired now but I still love it.

Better yet you can try the 2nd hand market but do some research, the people here are genuine but at the end of the day wish for a sale. Not calling anyone a con, they are not, but you may feel pressured entering someone's house to try something you have no clue about.
The 2nd hand market does open up more areas and gain you a better instrument but it will be used. The worn in feel can either feel great or really bad depending.

My 2 pence in this is the RBX170 would be a sure fire 1st bass. :-)

[quote name='HADGE' timestamp='1351806214' post='1855777']
[i]Well said kongo my bet woudl be a yamaha rbx 170 or 270 i have the 270 and its a terrific little bass[/i]
[/quote]

If one can afford an extra £20 (might be more now) the RBX 270 is quite an improvement, adding a tone pot over dual volume and better body wood.
There's one for sale around here that's been upgraded to DiMarzio pickups I believe?

Anyway, the choice is to the OP. Sounds like your taken by an Ibanez? Not a bad thing tbh, they are really easy to play and built well. I used to love them and still do but over time I realised thin necks aren't really needed for speed and I don't like them flat as a pancake. Doesn't work well with my thumb and fingers in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jonnyboy Rotten' timestamp='1352999045' post='1870351']
Thanks all for your input! I have finally purchased my bass! I got the Orange SR300! Gonna go set it up, tune it and rock out! \m/ \m/
[/quote]

Excellent choice - I sold my Ibanez GSR200 as it was not getting any use - it was great to get me started back on bass a few years ago. I kinda miss it now! The SRs are an even nicer beast.

Enjoy!