Why become a member? ×

FS: Fodera Matt Garrison Standard (On Order, due for completion this month!!!)

theshape101

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]I have a Matt Garrison Standard (serial #19) on order with Fodera due for completion this month. I've decided to plan a custom build instead so I am letting my spot for the MGS go. (I have already contacted Fodera for permission to do this and Jason has replied to my ad on TalkBass.com stating so, [/font][/color][url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-fodera-matt-garrison-standard-order-916247/"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-fodera-matt-garrison-standard-order-916247/[/url][color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]) Here is how it would work...[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]You would send me the amount I paid for the deposit (PM me for details), at which point I will advise Jason at the shop to transfer my order to you. Then when the bass is ready, which should be towards the end of this month, you would pay the balance directly to Fodera and take delivery directly from the factory.[/font][/color]

This is a good chance to pick up a bass from the first run of these as they won't be doing another run for a while!

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]PM me if you're interested.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Here are all the specs: [/font][/color]
[url="http://www.fodera.com/Main/NewBornDetails.aspx?FeaturedItemID=311"]http://www.fodera.com/Main/NewBornDe...uredItemID=311[/url]

As it is one of the Matt Garrison Standards the specs will be exactly as above and cannot be changed.

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]NOTE: this is for a Matt Garrison Standard ONLY, and can't be transferred to any other model.[/font][/color]

[color=#000000][font=verdana, geneva, lucida,]Thanks for looking.[/font][/color]

[quote name='XB26354' timestamp='1349417738' post='1825985']
If someone in the UK buys it the VAT is liable upon arrival at UK Customs, so US$ price (including shipping) converted into GBP, 3.7% import duty then 20% VAT added to the sum of UK price, shipping and duty.
[/quote]

So that works out at:

$8,750 for the bass
$200 shipping
$2,121 duties and VAT
$11,071 in total

Dependent on prevailing exchange rate and cost of buying currency that's about £7,100 in total?

Just wanted to check as the forum rules say that everything listed should show a price :)

[quote name='theshape101' timestamp='1349453243' post='1826584']
Of course, if you know someone in America they could ship the bass to you without declaring the full value. I know people who have done this and they only had to pay a small fee for importing!
[/quote]

Obviously that is a criminal offence and could result in the bass being confiscated and destroyed.

So why the hell would you risk that on such an expensive instrument?

The risks go deeper than just customs.

If you tell customs it's worth say £2500, you pay the import and VAT on that sum... then it gets damaged. Your insurer will use your import valuation to limit their payout to £2500 - because you wouldn't have lied to customs would you??? When you complain they let you know that they will happily repair / replace as soon as you come clean to customs first.

So to get it fixed you bite the bullet and confess to customs. They take the money and let you off with a caution.

Then the insurers tell you the bass was the subject of a fraud attempt and they refuse to pay anything at all.

It's not worth it.

I have to say that I've spoken to Fodera about this and they have said they would not want to be party to any deal that involved an instrument being bought through customs with falsified records in order to save on duties and taxes.