Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Online reviewers who slap! Pet hate!

lefrash

I can't remember the last time I properly heard a bassist slap in modern music, be it top 40 stuff or alternative and underground. It turns my stomach when I have to listen to demos of basses being slapped to excess, almost always around an E pentatonic because that's all that has been practiced in.

Guest bassman7755

Personally I think most video reviews of gear are pointless since you are hearing what ever it is though a sound system completely unlike that which it will be actually be used. Not quite as pointless as online reviews of TVs with pictures of the screen however ...

Yup...it bugs me too. Like Dood says, keep it simple so that you can hear the detail of the bass, amp, pedal etc... By all means, demonstrate the slap tone, but I don't want to hear 10mins of it. I saw a review of a Hagstrom semi-acoustic bass a while back that was slapped to death. Stop it! A - it sounded crap and B - most folks that would buy that bass would not use it for that!

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1360015356' post='1963693']
Personally I think most video reviews of gear are pointless since you are hearing what ever it is though a sound system completely unlike that which it will be actually be used. Not quite as pointless as online reviews of TVs with pictures of the screen however ...
[/quote]

I've certainly always used a real bass amp, mic'd and DI'd for the reviews I talked about earlier as it is important to me to convey the sounds I am hearing in our studio. I agree it's not perfect, but we do our best to make it as real as possible.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1360017366' post='1963736']
Yup...it bugs me too. Like Dood says, keep it simple so that you can hear the detail of the bass, amp, pedal etc... By all means, demonstrate the slap tone, but I don't want to hear 10mins of it. I saw a review of a Hagstrom semi-acoustic bass a while back that was slapped to death. Stop it! A - it sounded crap and B - most folks that would buy that bass would not use it for that!
[/quote]

Thank you! Yes, i demonstrate a few different styles and often play similar passages between different instruments in different issues in an attempt to make them comparable. Simple and clear is the way forward i think.

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1360021119' post='1963811']
Thank you! Yes, i demonstrate a few different styles and often play similar passages between different instruments in different issues in an attempt to make them comparable. Simple and clear is the way forward i think.
[/quote]

Well, I will be uploading my first review video in a few weeks time as soon as I get a better camera and sort out the lighting in my music room. Quite nervous, but I have a good idea about how I want to structure the demo and cover different tones for different styles. Just don't want to come across as a 10,000 notes per bar w*nker! It about the gear and not the player...something I will try hard to remember.

Couldn't agree more - about reviews and shop assistants.

Last time I asked to try a bass in a shop, the guy spent a good 2 or 3 mintues slapping the thing with his back turned to me. By all means plug it in, sound a note to check everything's working, but then hand it me. I could have walkes out and he wouldn't have noticed. I'd never expect a sports shop assistant showing me how far he can drop kick a rugby ball I'm thinking of buying, so the need by music shop assistants to show off really annoys me.
I don't care what they do outside of work - at the time that I'm contact with them they're sales assistants, not rock stars.

And most review videos I see online are bloody useless. Though I do like that Ed Friedland chap's reviews.

dood.
You're reviews are some of the best out there, they show how it should be done. One in particular got me to part with just shy of £700. I just wish there was a bit more Bass stuff in iguitar.
One thing I would ask for tho' is if maybe you could try another Bass along with the Shuker......just for a different flavour like.

I'll shall deliver your shiny red apple later sir :ph34r:
B)

Edited by kennyrodg

[quote name='kennyrodg' timestamp='1360055211' post='1963979']
dood.
You're reviews are some of the best out there, they show how it should be done. One in particular got me to part with just shy of £700. I just wish there was a bit more Bass stuff in iguitar.
One thing I would ask for tho' is if maybe you could try another Bass along with the Shuker......just for a different flavour like.

I'll shall deliver your shiny red apple later sir :ph34r:
B)
[/quote]

Thank you! You're very kind! :)

A point well made and I will see if we can shoe horn a second bass in to amp reviews. Good idea! :) i really appreciate the feedback!

[quote name='lefrash' timestamp='1360011593' post='1963617']
Sorry for the thread resurrection! But just been looking at some reviews for the squier jazz deluxe V, and found this. Not only is his playing extremely OTT, he can also make the instrument sound gash! I've got one of these on the way.... if I watched this video I may have had second thoughts!!

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reOvF025cVQ"]https://www.youtube....h?v=reOvF025cVQ[/url]
[/quote]

I watched that and still had no idea how the bass actually sounded :unsure: too much tapping way up the neck and too many bloody ghost/dead notes.