Why become a member? ×

My new album - vocal-led project

urb

Hello all,

Well it's been a while in the making but here's a new album project I've been working on with a great singer/artist, Paula Rae Gibson, I won't go on about the whys and wherefores of the album aside from saying that the backing music on tracks 1, 2, 4 and 7 was put together by me - Paula adding her own top line melodies and lyrics - and the rest were recorded live in the studio and were co-written by the band. It's a bit jazzy but more a mix of 'grown up' pop, rock, funk and dance - hope you enjoy it. It should have a proper release on Babel early next year.

Cheers

Mike

[b]Rae Forest Project - The Pleasure of Ruin[/b]
Album link:
[url="http://babel-label.bandcamp.com/album/the-pleasure-of-ruin"]http://babel-label.b...leasure-of-ruin[/url]

Edited by urb

[quote name='mickster' timestamp='1349096487' post='1821671']
Loved it - ordered vinyl version...ta for posting, urb!
Also found the Babel site / delivery thingy really nice to use...
[/quote]

Thanks dude - really appreciate it - looking forward to getting this out there to the wider world proper in the new year...

Thanks again

Mike

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1349090101' post='1821512']
At last! :D

I'll have a listen later.

If it's anything like some of the preview stuff I heard it will be very interesting! Paula Rae has a powerfully emotive voice.
[/quote]

Hey Nige

I know this has been in the works for ages - I'd love to know what you make of it - the finished recordings are soooo much better than the demos I played you - vocals recorded in Paris this time last year on the four songs I produced

:)

Cheers

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to bump this - but would love to hear what anyone else thinks of this music - especially as the tracks I put together (1, 2, 4 and 7) were all recorded / edited on my home studio - although the drums were recorded elsewhere and vocals in Paris etc... although the mix and mastering were done by pros :) - those tunes in particular really reflect my idea of mixing up various styles in a song-format...

Anyway I shan't waffle on - have a listen and let me know - I appreciate it

Mike

Ahh, Mike, sorry man, I listened to a couple of tracks last week but since then everytime I had the opportunity to listen I forgot, and remembered when I didn't.

What I heard sounds great, her voice actually takes a little getting used to, it's so personal that it's uncomfortable for a short while, and that's a great thing! The music is a great accompaniment to her voice, it works very well indeed.

I will listen to the rest shortly.

Cheers
Nx

Listened to the whole album earlier. It's f***ing good Mike, really! There's nothing like it I've heard before either. Her voice has totally grown on me. I'll buy it in a couple of weeks when my company finally rectify last month's salary f*** up.

Some of the fast endings are wicked, the drummer is damn good isn't she, and there's some great bass work on there mate, and some great bass sounds too. I don't know if this is jazz, new age jazz, avant garde jazz or what, but it is a highly credible album, and Paula Rae gives just makes it happen for me.

Superb Mike! Congratulations!

[quote name='lowdown' timestamp='1351015704' post='1846291']
Nearly forgot about this [link down at the moment]
But i did listen a few days back.
I really like it, and it's nice and polished [for me]
Being a Jazzer at heart, anything that leans that way always tends to draw me in a some point.
Great stuff Mike.

Garry
[/quote]

Nice one Garry - it's funny this album really isn't 'jazz' in any way but all the musicians on it are jazz players - but I guess there's quite a bit of improvising going on in a subtle way - which you don't get on a lot of 'pop/rock' albums - anyway I'm glad you enjoyed it and yes it's all been mixed and mastered by some really great pro people - so the end result sounds about as good as it can...

Thanks for listening (the link seems to be working now by the way)

Cheers

Mike