Why become a member? ×

Micro switch buttons

ped

Hi chaps

Ages ago now I installed the GK kit into my bass, to drive the V-bass unit.

You can choose to have LEDs, switches, buttons, control knobs etc when you do the install, and omit them as you wish depending on your tastes. The only things you NEED are the output and the pickup itself.

I chose to add the control knob to my bass (which is assignable depending on what I'm doing (for example it's a wave shape control on a synth, or a pickup balance on a jazz bass model).

I now fancy adding the 'up' and 'down' buttons to select patches without using the pedalboard. Problem is, I can't find the ones that came with the kit. I have emailed Roland to see if I can get some spares, but failing that, I wonder if anyone knows if they are a common type I can replace with something sourced elsewhere?

Here's a picture of the kit contents, the buttons are the matching two black items

Here's the .pdf showing how the thing is wired up (mine passes through a Marleaux 3 band active pre-amp, too)
http://media.rolandus.com/manuals/GK-KIT-BG_OM.pdf

It should be fairly easy to add the buttons to the circuit I think.

Cheers
ped

Hi Ped,

I have a load of these - they are momentary action, not latching, you are very welcome to some to try if they're any good to you?
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/kjon51/Pics%20etc/20120930_175944.jpg[/IMG]

Cheerz, John

Hi John

Yes I think that's right, they simply move the patch on the pedal up or down. Those look great - being the picky sod that I am, I wonder if you have some that are plain black?

Thanks for the reply and generous offer. Do these type of buttons have a particular name?

ped

You can also get non-latching sub-miniature toggle switches from Maplin - see [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/sub-miniature-toggle-switches-2341"]here[/url]. It's not clear whether they are all available, but types D and H should do the job.

Also I have previously ordered stuff over the phone from Roland Extras - 01792 702701.

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1349040027' post='1821088']
You can also get non-latching sub-miniature toggle switches from Maplin - see [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/sub-miniature-toggle-switches-2341"]here[/url]. It's not clear whether they are all available, but types D and H should do the job.

Also I have previously ordered stuff over the phone from Roland Extras - 01792 702701.
[/quote]

I just saw the above - I've got plenty of those too - I'll open the bag & stick a couple of them in too <_<

Now I'm awake :rolleyes: looking at the circuit, one of the micro toggle switches I've sent will do the job instead of two buttons, centre biased toggle, up/down momentary action, should be ideal :) & will probably match your bass select switch.

Give me a shout if I can be any further help,

Cheerz, John

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1349083318' post='1821383']
Excellent, that sounds like a winner - I'll have a play when they arrive. Now I just need to work out how to wire it up.
[/quote]

[font="Arial"]From the 6 way connector on the amp board, (looking at the circuit lets call the top/black/No.1), you should have a black wire, (common) going to the centre tab of your bass select switch, you need to link that to the centre of the new up/down switch, then from the same 6 way connector, you need to wire No. 4 blue to the down side & No.5 yellow to the up. Either way on the new switch, then fix the switch to suit.[/font]

[font="Arial"]HTH,[/font]
[font="Arial"]John[/font]

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1349097955' post='1821717']

[font="Arial"]From the 6 way connector on the amp board, (looking at the circuit lets call the top/black/No.1), you should have a black wire, (common) going to the centre tab of your bass select switch, you need to link that to the centre of the new up/down switch, then from the same 6 way connector, you need to wire No. 4 blue to the down side & No.5 yellow to the up. Either way on the new switch, then fix the switch to suit.[/font]

[font="Arial"]HTH,[/font]
[font="Arial"]John[/font]
[/quote]

Thanks, that should help. I'll have to check the internals as I can't remember what I did with the unused connecting wires. Maybe I'll put up a photo to clarify when she's opened up. It's a bit crowded in there with the 3 band eq too.

Cheers

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1349082693' post='1821368']
Now I'm awake :rolleyes: looking at the circuit, one of the micro toggle switches I've sent will do the job instead of two buttons, centre biased toggle, up/down momentary action, should be ideal :)
[/quote]
Exactly what I had in mind! One switch to rule them all (my precious...)

Lol. Ok I like that idea.

Now how's about this.

Sometimes I will switch through a few patches at once, so I wonder if it's possible to have a knob which I could rotate through clicks to go up and down through the patches?

That would be ideal, and a bit quicker. Difficult to sort, or possible? I would probably pay someone to work this out for me, if anyone fancies volunteering!!