Why become a member? ×

The Who at Live Aid 1985.

steve-soar

Cheers :)

I well remember sitting down to watch this on the day, tape recorder going upstairs in my bedroom. The long awaited first time I would see my heros live in the flesh (So to speak) and then the bloody fuse went!!!!! you should have seen my face :angry:

A

EDIT: OMG they look so young but on the day I thought how old they looked!! :huh:

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1348946654' post='1820093']
Cheers :)

I well remember sitting down to swatch this on the day, tape recorder going upstairs in my bedroom. The long awaited first time I would see my heros live in the flesh (So to speak) and then the bloody fuse went!!!!! you should have seen my face :angry:

A
[/quote]27 years ago. They blew everyone else off. Ermmm, were the best band on the day, I mean. :blush:

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1348946848' post='1820096']
27 years ago. They blew everyone else off. Ermmm, were the best band on the day, I mean. :blush:
[/quote]

Loads of people were raving about Queen* the next day but naaahh sorry The Who were way better. Hadnt noticed Daltrys cock up before though!

* Over rated cabaret act if you ask me :gas:

A

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348948299' post='1820109']
Wasn't it there that John trashed his bass afterwards because it wouldn't hold tune?
[/quote]

No. He sold it to the Hard Rock Cafe afterwards. He'd been fiddling with it and crossed some wires and it went dead. He then raced for the backup and it wasn't tuned. There wasn't a transformer (5 pin canon jack familiar to those Alembic users out there) so he couldn't tune it and just muddled through.

To quote the man himself - "Right before we were to play, my main bass went dead because I’d accidentally crossed some wires while changing the battery. I ran for the backup bass but couldn’t tune it because there were no transformers backstage. At that point we were introduced, and I barely managed to get back onstage in time to start ‘[url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/tablature/mygenbass.txt"]My Generation[/url].’ If you listen closely to the video, you can hear me tuning the [i]D[/i] string as we go. I just about got it in tune in time for the bass solo. I sold the main bass to the [url="http://www.thewho.net/whotabs/gear/misc/museumpieces.html"]Hard Rock Cafe[/url] — that was its punishment.”

He smashed his bass at the Houston Astrodome in 1975 when Daltrey told him (not very politely) to turn down. His response of "You play the f###ing thing then!!" then smashing his bass, jumping off a 12 foot high stage and locking himself in the dressing room is pretty much exactly what I would have done barring smashing an Alembic. Ouch.....