Why become a member? ×

Hipshots

lowdowner

[quote name='lowdowner' timestamp='1349204017' post='1823303']
I didn't mean for *every* string, just the E :) It will, of course, change all my patterns because the E string will then be 1/2 tone or 1 tone lower, but for some tracks this will be ace!
[/quote]Ah, fair enough. I read "[i]my teach suggested that I de-tune my 4 string by a semitone[/i]" as the bass as a whole not just the one string.

Hipshots are great - until you dive straight onto a 5 for the first time when all your muscle memory for songs is on a 4 with a Hipshot set down a tone and flicked down & up during songs, DOH! Tht said I should have thought if you go that path setting it for a tone rather than a semitone would be better. A semitone will give some odd pattern changes particularly for things like octaves that are easier with it set to a tone - IMO anyway.

Mind you years ago when we used to do Beat It we just played it in E. I suspect that it was recorded with everyone detuned a semitone across the board if it actually plays as Eb

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='WalMan' timestamp='1349209888' post='1823440']

Mind you years ago when we used to do Beat It we just played it in E. I suspect that it was recorded with everyone detuned a semitone across the board if it actually plays as Eb
[/quote]

This seems to be a common thought - a number of people have suggested this. If any track seems to scream out for a 5 stringer it seems to be this one though... but buying a bass for one track is possibly the flimsiest excuse I've yet thought of! :)

Brilliant bits of kit, got one on my Spector and shall be ordering one for my Warwick shortly. As someone has already mentioned, there's a guy in the states who sells them on eBay which works out cheaper. I bought the one on my Spector while I was on holiday over there for about $45.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1349337724' post='1824771'] Brilliant bits of kit, got one on my Spector and shall be ordering one for my Warwick shortly. As someone has already mentioned, there's a guy in the states who sells them on eBay which works out cheaper. I bought the one on my Spector while I was on holiday over there for about $45. [/quote]

Yup that was me....this is the one I bought...although I should have bought an 8 but it still fitted with a tweak and works beautifully...As I said this guy delivered in three days to the UK...amazing.
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300741732630?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_1848wt_1114"]http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1848wt_1114[/url]

There is another seller from the States as well so worth a search on Ebay.