Why become a member? ×

Reasonable bedroom/practice amp (£150 or so)?

Danny_777

I'm a guitarist looking to sharpen up on bass a bit, so I won't be gigging but I would like a decent tone!

I've picked up a G&L L-2000 from the classifieds here, so now I need a partner for it! I tried a Fender Rumble 30 out and it seemed pretty decent, but I wondered if I could spend my £150 any better secondhand or even new? I'm guessing that on a low budget shipping's going to be the real killer.

Anyway, any advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan welcome to BC :)

Go for secondhand, definitely. There are lots of pretty good practice amps out there, but for £150 you could get something that will take you through to small gigs too. Roland Bass Cube, Hartke A70 / A100 immediately spring to mind, there are many others. Have a look on here or on eBay etc. Look for something local and go try it out! Shipping an amp costs quite a bit due to size/weight, so if you can pick it up yourself you'll get a lot more amp for your money.

A 30w bass amp will not serve a practice with acoustic drums, it just wont be loud enough. I'd look for something 100w or more if you intend to practice with a band - its not all about watts with bass amps, but thats a rough guide to get started.

If you like a nice deep sound, the Fender Rumble series I think are great amps. As is the practice amp I use, Ampeg BA-108. For a more rock-type tone, the Marshall MB15 or 30 is good, and has 2 channels, Modern with compressor, or Classic with gain. So a bit more versatile.

I love my Ashdown Perfect Ten mini rig, sounds lovely, enough power for small gigs and looks amazing, all my own opinion of course.
65w head with two 10" cabs. Should be able to find one for around £100, or the Ashdown Five Fifteen mini rig (100w head with a 210 cab) for £150

[IMG]http://i1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj510/Maude200/16052012290.jpg[/IMG]