Why become a member? ×

Anyone Tried A Diamond Bass Comp

Pete Academy

I have one that I use as my main compressor over any of the others I own, it's pretty transparent but not as clinical as the EBS I used most of the time before I got the Diamond, it's so hard trying to discribe a compressor :D if you were closer I would have lent it to you for a day or so.

I'm keen to try the MXR pedal the one with the meter on it at some point.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1348163698' post='1810306']
I'm not a big of compressors. I've tried a fair few in the past and I hate how they squash the dynamics. However, I'm quite intrigued by the Diamond Bass Comp. It seems that Paul Turner is taken with it. I watched a YouTube demo, but wasn't impressed. Has anyone tried one of these?
[/quote]
Does it make the souynd punchier? How does the eq switch work?

I don't use it for any heavy compression, for me it's doing it's job if it keeps the B string on a 5'er from booming out and brings the G string from sounding too weak and quiet, so just evening out the levels a tad, it does this with a bit of added 'thickness' which I prefer to a totally tranparant pedal.

The switch moves the centre frequency??? from the original guitar pedal they make to a more bass friendly one.

Have you read this?

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/diamobass.shtml

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1348212084' post='1810772']
I don't use it for any heavy compression, for me it's doing it's job if it keeps the B string on a 5'er from booming out and brings the G string from sounding too weak and quiet, so just evening out the levels a tad, it does this with a bit of added 'thickness' which I prefer to a totally tranparant pedal.

The switch moves the centre frequency??? from the original guitar pedal they make to a more bass friendly one.

Have you read this?

[url="http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/diamobass.shtml"]http://www.ovnilab.c...diamobass.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

Thanks for that...very interesting.

I just bought one last week and it's fantastic

It doesn't do super squashed compression but that's not what i'm after.

I've owned a number of compressors - EBS, Aguilar, TC and this is by far my favourite.

I've stuck my Markbass Compressore in the sales section as i'll be using the Diamond instead, it's easy to dial in and brings a thickness and warm presence to your tone without making it sound muddy.

I'd say the only disadvantage is having to power externally with an 18v adaptor adaptor but its not as bad as the power requirements of the Markbass compressore.

Definitely worth a try, it's blown me away and I won't be playing anywhere without it.

[quote name='ryancowell25' timestamp='1348262985' post='1811730']

I'd say the only disadvantage is having to power externally with an 18v adaptor adaptor
[/quote]

It will run on 9v, never tried it with this pedal so I don't know what difference it would make but I had a DHA VT1 (valve pedal) that was meant to run on 18v but I always used 9v with and it worked fine.

Hi Pete/Rumple

I'd be very interested to hear from you about this Compressor as you can see I do a pretty energetic show and need to have something to counter act the odd extra dig in that happens sometimes in the heat fo battle so to speak without squashing tmy signal to much.

Cheers

Laurence

It's a great compressor with a character of it's own but doesn't do heavy compressing, Ovni (see link in previous post) rates it a 3:1, you might also look at say the MXR M87 which by all accounts is quite transparent sounding and does peak limiting, I'm keen to try one at some point.

I've seen that MXR and I was tempted to give it a try, it's got way more control then the Diamond and the meter is a great idea but from what I've read it wouldn't add any 'magic' to your tone, I guess it depends what you want from a compressor.