Why become a member? ×

I'm thinking of getting an Ashbory bass has anyone played one?

Bo Millward

I've had one for years. I like them...I used to gig mine quite a bit when I played in a Rock and Roll band-it
sounded really cool. I don't really play it much now because it doesn't fit with anything I'm doing.
I didn't find the intonation too tricky,you just need to spend a bit of time with them to get used to their
idiosyncrasies.

I always fancied an Ashbory and then I spoilt it by actually getting one!

Quite a cool sound, almost like a double bass, but I found it totally impossible to keep in tune. I tried to play it for about a month and took it to one rehearsal where it was laughed out of the room. After that it lived under a bed for a year or so before I flogged it on Ebay for quite a reasonable amount!

Sorry that I can't be more positive, just my experience / opinion, etc......

I had one for a couple of years. It was a fun little grab-and-go bass for jamming with and great for getting around by bike or public transport. I didn't struggle too much with the intonation (in the lower range at least), but the limited dynamics did bother me a bit. The silicone strings require a light right-hand touch and just go "ping" if you play too hard. I felt like there wasn't much dynamic range between barely tickling it and overplaying it. It's fair to say that bandmate acceptance was an issue, too.

• 11 months later...

If you're still looking/thinking about Ashbory basses.

I got mine from the guy who designed the mechanics, Nigel Thornbory, he's selling them in the UK with Thundergut strings fitted for £200.

He sells on eBay as 'highlystrung' ? He seems very approachable and I went and had a test play at his base in Wantage.