Why become a member? ×

Bergantino HD212

basslowdown

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]As the name suggests the Bergantino HD212 is a straightforward 2 x 12 bass cab, featuring two slightly offset vertical drivers and a high frequency horn between the two. I believe the HD stands for High Definition although I’m not altogether sure what this is meant to mean with regards to bass!? [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]The cabinet itself is rated at 700 watts and covered in tolex, the speaker grille is of the punched metal variety, round the back is a standard panel featuring a pair of parallel speakon inputs and an attenuator for the high frequency horn. At this point I should say that from a construction point of view (even with my unit being second hand) the HD212 is faultless. It doesn’t look flashy but it looks like it’ll go on forever with none of the strange rattles and vibrations you can get over time.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]So far I have only used the cab with my Momark 800 and they seem to be a perfect match in power and tone. I personally find the Momark a little devoid of personality but with a very strong EQ module that allows me to shape the sound as I want. The Bergantino also appears to have a reputation of simply reproducing anything you put in to it but in this case is certainly seems to add some balls to the Momark and creates a nice thickness around the lower mids. The Bergantino can handle both modern and old school sounds with everything from an ACG 5 String, Passive Jazz to an old Framus Semi Acoustic going through it.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]What I also like about the cab is that it never seems to complain, one band I play in is (too) loud and sees the Momark turned up over half way and even with my five string the Bergantino doesn’t complain, doesn’t sound strained and maybe most surprisingly doesn’t sound hugely different to the same cab at lower volumes. I believe these cabs are very efficient too although not really an issue with my own amp.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]A slightly meaningless test but one I like to do anyway, is to play pre-recorded music through any new speaker. Using the Momark’s FX return I was surprised to hear that the Berganitno’s reproduction was actually quite accurate, there was a bit of thickness around the 300 Hz range (which bears out my thoughts on how it beefs up my Momark) but the sound is certainly better than many similarly priced PA cabs I’ve heard.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]At the gig, the HD212 just seems to deliver whatever I want from old Motown sounds to modern finger style stuff. You do need to make sure you keep it out of the corners but other than that it does the business. I tend to have the HF horn virtually off as the 12s reproduce all the high frequencies I need, but if that’s what you’re after the HD will sound incredibly Hi-Fi, you do get a little hiss through the horn but in fairness it can only generate noise that is already present so it can hardly be at fault.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]So is there anything I don’t like? Yes… The weight![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000]After running a few Neo cabs, this thing is a beast, I reckon about 40kgs maybe? But it’s bloody heavy, and a funny shape to carry. I have fitted casters but again the shape does make its centre of gravity a little high when pushing it. Still if you’re careful you’ll be OK… I love it and my cab GAS has receded![/color][/size][/font]

• 1 month later...

Just an update...

Despite not being new (albeit mint) when I got the Berg, I am now wondering whether it had been so underused that the drivers hadn't even broken in yet?

Since the review I've had a few more gigs and I have to say, the thing is sounding better than ever and unless it's my imagination more efficient?! Well, I am certainly running my amp at lower volumes. The thing just sounds huge... This weekend's gig was at a holiday camp and my (too) loud band played to several hundred with no PA support, the missus report was that I could be heard loud and clear throughout the hall, and believe me nothing had even broke into a sweat.

Alas, it hasn't got any lighter!!! :(