Why become a member? ×

Ernie Ball Musicman Classic StingRay 4

maldy

I first saw and heard a Stingray some 17 years ago on the Flea master class video. I remember watching and being awestruck. I remember thinking that one day I want to be able to play and sound like Flea did on that video. Looking back, it wasn’t necessarily the best instructional video, but it certainly inspired me in so many ways.

So despite Flea and the Stingray leaving me with such a huge impression I have never played a stingray, or owned one up until now. I guess when you are young you are not always fortunate to get the bass of your dreams, or even know what bass is best for you. Like many people I have fumbled my way through basses trying to find the right one, often not even knowing what that would be. I eventually discovered a Warwick Thumb bass and have been hooked on Warwicks ever since. People who like Warwicks generally agree that they love the Warwick sound and the superb craftsmanship and build. Because of this I effectively stayed away from every other make of bass for some 14 years! However, lately (and maybe it is because of age) I have been interested in other basses and the differences they have to offer. Back in January I bought a Fender RW Jazz. In many ways it doesn’t compare as well as my Warwicks. However, I absolutely love it because it is completely different and has its very own distinctive feel, sound and look.

At the same time I was looking at Fender Jazz basses I was also looking at the Musicman Stingrays. After a lot of research, via forums and youtube, I decided that a Stingray Classic would probably be the bass I would like best. Unfortunately, none of the music shops near me, or anywhere within a few hours sold any Stingrays. So it was really difficult to really get a feel for what these basses are actually like in the flesh. But after much debate I decided that the Stingray Classic was probably the one for me. What I then discovered was that there was not that many for sale in the uk. The ones that were had huge prices of around £1900 and not much choice of colours etc (if I was going to pay that price I wanted to at least choose the colour I liked). I eventually discovered Bass Direct was doing a fantastic price on some of the models with discontinued colours. Still a hefty £1550, but loads cheaper and the colour scheme and wood choice I wanted. I saw a few great second hand ones for sale, but decided I needed the return option that a shop would offer in case I totally hated the bass!

So I ordered a classic white stingray, with birds eye maple neck/fingerboard with a shell pick guard. I'm still quite ecstatic from the whole experience of wanting the bass, buying the bass and it arriving. There is nothing quite like receiving a new bass and getting to know it for the first time. It is not something that happens every day, so it is something to savour. Overall I was excited about the bass, but you can read a lot of negative things, as well as positive things on the internet. Some people complain about quality, value and set up of the top branded names. So as well as being excited I was anxious as to whether the bass would meet my expectations. All my Warwick basses over the years have always been perfect in terms of quality of the build. I especially realised this when I have since tried other basses. So with all this I wasn't sure what to expect and was sort of expecting it not to be quite perfect (which is a kind of a ridiculous thought considering the bass is £1550!). However, I have to say I was very pleasantly surprised.
The neck felt superb for a start. I was worried that it might be too fat. It is obviously not as thin as a Jazz bass, but in no way does it feel too chunky. It has a gloss finish (as does the fret board) and to me it feels very nice and comfortable. The fretbaord also seems a bit wider at the nut (not actually measured, or checked the actual specs). I have not got the biggest of hands, but in no way do I feel the neck is too wide. In fact I kind of think this is possibly one if my favourite neck of any bass so far.

The setup was also pretty much spot on straight out of the box. The action was super low and very playable. The neck seems very straight, so may benefit from a slight truss rod tweak, but to be honest I don’t really feel any real need for this at the moment.

Very importantly to me the bass was very comfortable to play at the bridge position. This was very important because you kind of naturally gravitate to this position due to the nature of the pickup position. When I play sitting down with my Jazz bass I find that the body of the bass can dig into my forearm when playing in the bridge position. I find this a little uncomfortable and it is probably because I am very used to the smaller curved bodies of Warwicks. So I was very anxious that the stingray classic with its big slab body would be quite uncomfortable. However, I am very happy to say everything felt comfortable and well balanced. The slab design may look a bit uncomfortable, but you really don’t feel it.

I haven't had a great chance to play it thoroughly and getting to know a bass takes a little while. The two band eq is interesting and at first I must admit to feeling a little underwhelmed. Compared to my Streamer $$ which has active passive mode, two 3 ways coil tapping switches and two pickups, it at first seems limited. However, I kind of like what it offers in a subtle way and these days am finding I'm not so obsessed on having loads of onboard eq. I think what the stingray lacks in onboard settings, it offers an absolutely amazing classic stingray tone. It is bright, punchy and the bottom end is probably the tightest bass sounds I’ve ever heard. It is not a million miles away from the sounds of a Warwick. However, it has something very unique. Even my wife (who is not a bass connoisseur) has mentioned on several occasions that the bass sounds amazing.

So they are my initial thoughts. After a few months I will update with some more thoughts, when I have really got to know the sounds and tones.

Nice review and congrats on a fine looking bass. Hope you grow to like it even more.
I'm a little the same as you having used Warwick entirely for some 20 years and felt nothing was missing. Decided on a change and got a Jazz which was/is nice, but seemed to lack somthing playing the type of music I do with the band.. Went for a P bass and love that suited the stuff I was doing a lot more... always gassed for a Ray and had a bit of money left over from some OT I'd done so picked up a nice 2 eq off Basschat.. It has fast become my no1 machine, Cuts through but still sits in so well live and sounds great recorded...as you say they a very tight bottom end and then you can get as aggresive as you like with the treble control and cut through anything.. I do chop and change with my Bass's nowadays .. but getting a lot of love for the Ray.. I'm a convert for sure :)

Nice review! and nice bass!

I have a slab body on my pre EB and after years of playing a normal EBMM Ray at first it was a bit strange, 2 gigs and a few practices in and I never notice it, its not sharp like a Ricky edge either.

If your new to Rays in general your in for a treat IMO as you will soon discover more about all this "Its all in the fingers" you hear about all the time, fact is its true! You will soon manage to get most of the tones you are able to from the Warwicks (Styles maybe a better word I'm not sure but you get my drift) just by playing differently rather than dialling them in with the EQ. I love my Jazz bass but it is so easy to rely on choosing front or back pickup rather than playing in a certain way and just cutting/boosting the highs to get where you want to go.

Also the long term Ray players around here have a favourite method of EQing on the 2 band Rays, Bass on full then add treble to taste almost like your using the tone pot on a P bass, trust me its the only way ;)

I now have ClassicRay5 gas even more after your review! :gas:

• Like 1

Totally agree with you Highfox. It is interesting how ones bass path unfolds. I think the thing with the Warwick is that they are so good it is difficult to want to switch to another bass make once you have bought one. The converse is, if you buy a truly terrible bass, you immediately want to get another make bass!

Great to hear your thoughts too stingrayPete1977; they were really useful, especially the bit about the eq. I think it takes a while to get to know the sounds of a bass and what works in what situation. It is funny that you said a lot of people boost the bass and then add the treble to taste. When initially trying to figure out a sound I like the best, that is exactly what I did without any thought, or logic. So it is reassuring to know that is what a lot of long term Ray player do and find best. :D