Why become a member? ×

Lakland 55-02

WeeWheels

Hiya matey,
I have a 55-02 and get plenty of top end through my genz shuttle 9 and epi 112 cabs...a few questions spring to mind...
What strings do you use?
How old are they?
What amp setup and eq?
Have you got lots of pedals?
Does your signal chain start/end with a buffered pedal?

These basses are quite often inherently shy in the treble department , and that can apply to the U.S.A models too. Has your bass got a maple or a rosewood board ? A lot of folks think that this particular style of Lakland (mm+j) needs a maple board to get a bit more bite in the top-end. I used to have a 44-02 with a rosewood board that was similaly lacking in natural treble, and often had to boost the actives to get more cut. Quite why this design would be a little muted in the treble , I really have no idea, but it seems to often be the case. It would be interesting to see what other people on heres' experience with them is. If you read the original review of the 4-94 in Bass Player Magazine from the 1990s that is reprinted on the Lakland website , they mention that the bass is less trebly than most other modern basses, It's still a great sounding bass though, and maybe using the brightest -sounding roundwound strings you can find might help. Daddario Prosteels would be a good bet, and they are relatively inexpensive.

It's worth mentioning that the one I had was the only Skyline I have ever played, and so I have no point of comparison . If other folks who have got them say they find that they have got plenty of treble, I am perfectly willing to accept that. What I will say is that mine weighed around 8 1/4 pounds , and it crossed my mind that the lightweight wood of that bass might have been the reason for the absent treble. I know that Faron who posts on here had a 4402 and he found it similaly lacking in treble.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1346663834' post='1791555']
Tried tweaking the EQ centre of the mid pot ? (But now I can't remember if it was possible or it was pickup output you van change !)
[/quote]

Indeed you can alter the eq centre of the mid pot, haven't tried that yet on mine, I think it's default is 600Hz (you can set it to 275Hz / 600Hz / 900Hz / 1100Hz)

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I'm really just writing to apologise for disapearing for a year. Especially after all the advice you gave me.

Suffice to say I'm still playing the Lakland. It's still my main bass. And after all that, it was the leader of the band I play in being picky as he prefers the sound of my Stingray 5 (which is really cool still). You know how it is sometimes.

So I just wanted to say thank you and sorry to you all.

:)