Why become a member? ×

Thunderbird tone

Rayman

I'm currently selling my Tokai Thunderbird in the for sale section, but only because the old school thump sound isn't my bag, I like a more modern, punchy and clean type tone. I really love everything else about the bass, it plays great, looks great etc, but I'd just like it to sound cleaner. If I could get the tone how I want it, I'd like to keep it.

I've bought a Hartke VXL bass attack pedal to give me some options, but I wonder if anyone has any other ideas. Pickups could be changed I guess, but I wonder if the EQ could be upgraded, John East maybe? Any ideas?

It is often said that you can't polish a turd, and this is often true. I would maybe go out and try some different basses and really get a feel for what you're after. If you still keep coming back to the Tbird, then think about maybe getting some new pickups and an active preamp. Though I really do think you'd be better off looking at a different bass entirely.

Well I'm covered in terms of [i]my tone [/i]with the other basses I have. However I like the TB, and I'd like to use it in the set live, I guess I'd just like it to have some more tonal options. Maybe as you say though, it sounds like a Thunderbird, and that's the end of it. We'll see.

The thing for me is, I don't like much about Thunderbirds as it is. But the sound is a real downer for me. A new electronics package could be a hefty chunk of change, especially if you can't do the fitting work yourself. But if the bass isn't delivering on tone, then you can either dive in and see if you can improve it to the point where it is going to be of use to you or just let it go.