Why become a member? ×

Is this rubbish?

TPJ

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bass-/221109613401?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D1622005615547963959%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D1%26#ht_500wt_1288"]Saw this on fleabay[/url]

Looks older but hard to tell, those tuners look different to the ones you see on cheaper basses. I'm rubbish ad DB identification so it quite well could be firewood :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1346072680' post='1784842']
Certainly could be rubbish with a bit of work. :)

Sorry, couldn't resist. Looks a bit like an old B&H but in surprisingly good nick.
[/quote]

Aye, it would certainly sound rubbish with me playing it :P

Impossible to say without trying it, (from the photos I can't even see if it's real wood or laminate or if the finger board is ebony or painted "hard wood") but without a sound post you can't try it!

Retrieving / Replacing the sound post is quite difficult and you're talking £100 or so to get it replaced and properly set up. That or many hours fishing about inside trying to snag it with a loop of fishing line and many hours more tweaking it about 'till it sounds right.

(edit, bloke on another thread got his music teacher to replace the post for a tenner ... so I overestimated a bit!)

Edited by NickA

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1346752188' post='1792582']
Impossible to say without trying it, (from the photos I can't even see if it's real wood or laminate or if the finger board is ebony or painted "hard wood") but without a sound post you can't try it!

Retrieving / Replacing the sound post is quite difficult and you're talking £100 or so to get it replaced and properly set up. That or many hours fishing about inside trying to snag it with a loop of fishing line and many hours more tweaking it about 'till it sounds right.
[/quote]

True. The original post lacked the photos and extra info.