Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Where can I try an EBMM Big Al 5?

stingrayPete1977

I have been googling but cant find much, I just keep watching Ed Friedland's review which is not helping me much! Who stocks them, are there any in the UK what colour and pickup config would you look out for? I'm thinking totally different to my Rays so, SSS and rosewood board for starters anyway and I quite like the vintage burst against the ultra modern styling. Gassing for no reason at all :)

In the same way Jose is pleased he lives miles from me, its a good thing you are all the way up there! :)

I have gas for a Big Al 5, a Classic Ray 5 and a Shuttle max 9.2 two of which I know you have :lol: Bass Direct has a nice Classic 5 on offer that I would take if I could get it past the other half but I cant get the figures to stack up right now :(

Does anywhere have big Als on the hook to try?

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1346069716' post='1784770']
Not that I've seen. :(

If that Classic at BD was maple boarded I'd be v tempted.
[/quote]

No you wouldn't, It would not be there ;) :D

I have a potential new band depending on how the meeting on tuesday goes, If it works out all funds will be going on gear again, its been ages since I had anything new!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1346063081' post='1784608']

I have gas for a Big Al 5, a Classic Ray 5 and a Shuttle max 9.2 two of which I know you have :lol: Bass Direct has a nice Classic 5 on offer that I would take if I could get it past the other half but I cant get the figures to stack up right now :(

[/quote]

I don't know if it's still available but Psychpider on the MM forum had a mint green classic 5 for sale (basses for sale thread) - do not look if you're susceptible to GAS - it has a stunning figured flame maple neck and board - he also said he would ship international presuming buyer paid - it is a stunner and I was sorely tempted.

As for a Big Al, I haven't seen any in shops but S and T did have some.

I think he wanted $1300 for it - I had a look earlier and the posts been superceded by newer for sale items - you could PM him if you're a member.

You mean the one with the extra string tree hole?? I must stop looking at Ebay - there's a couple or three great pre EBs on there at the moment - an early white SR5 with a birds eye maple neck - and a 20th Anniversary Stingray. I never much rated the 20th Anniversary Ray but I played at a mini festival a couple of weeks ago and a guy used one - talk about a thing of beauty - absolutely stunning. The one on Ebay has the original case and is a daft price currently.

As for Big Als, have you tried phoning one of the big dealers like Andertons or Gak to see if you can get one to try out?

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1346079028' post='1784944']
I think he wanted $1300 for it - I had a look earlier and the posts been superceded by newer for sale items - you could PM him if you're a member.

You mean the one with the extra string tree hole?? I must stop looking at Ebay - there's a couple or three great pre EBs on there at the moment - an early white SR5 with a birds eye maple neck - and a 20th Anniversary Stingray. I never much rated the 20th Anniversary Ray but I played at a mini festival a couple of weeks ago and a guy used one - talk about a thing of beauty - absolutely stunning. The one on Ebay has the original case and is a daft price currently.

As for Big Als, have you tried phoning one of the big dealers like Andertons or Gak to see if you can get one to try out?
[/quote]
[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1346079028' post='1784944']

[/quote]
No there is one that is listed as all original yet its got an ebony board and no fret marker dots?

I have seen that white SR5 a few times, its nice!

Unfortunately it's the current market conditions in the UK I guess. Not so many of us spending big money on basses.

Pete - I didn't see that one - must have another look - there was a sunburst 79 Sabre on there about a week ago which gave me a bit of a shock. I have to keep saying to myself 'you don't need any more basses - you have no money to buy them' - I just know that I'm going to crack and make an offer on something at this rate!!

Here you go [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Original-1979-Music-Man-Sting-Ray-Electric-Bass-Black-Pre-Ernie-Ball-/300768621635?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item460734f443"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Original-1979-Music-Man-Sting-Ray-Electric-Bass-Black-Pre-Ernie-Ball-/300768621635?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item460734f443[/url]
I just put another SR5 in my watch list whilst trying to find it for you :lol: