Why become a member? ×

My new 5 string fretless...

Mikey D

After realising that I wanted (I'm not going to pretend I need it) a new bass as my EBMM sub was not jazz enough in looks and sound and my Yamaha TRB6 being a bit too much for most.

I had set my hopes on either a really good 4 string jazz as per a previous post or a 5 string singlecut tuned with a high c and ramp (matt garrison, janek gwizelda etc). I thought that the 5 was always going to be out of my price range.

After the bass bash the main thing I came away thinking was, I want a fretless five tuned high c after playing petes...he wouldn't sell it! :) and i can't find the same anywhere, so last night I bought this of a german store:

New for £350, with a couple of very very minor marks you can't even really see. I've got a few different sets of 6 strings sets on the way as well to try and get the sound I want also.

I'll let you know what i think when it gets here and try and do a few sound clips.

Anyone try one of these? Opinons?

Hey...

Yeah i've got one of those! Arn't you at the conservatoire? Im the bassist in the 3rd year :) ... Ive really got on with mine, im gonna remove the ramp thing today, and have a play around with the action - but I've had it for over 6 months, and it my favourite bass... I've hardly touched my fretted since i got it! All the tunes on my myspace page (www.myspace.com/alexjenningz) are recorded on mine.

Cheers! Alex.

Ah, see i knew I saw one somewhere. Yes that is me.

Cool, sounds good on the recordings. Just need to get as good as fred now on the fretless! :)

I have a quick question/s for you actually. Do you play upright? Did you ever play upright here? Were you made to feel like you have to play upright? Cause i have basically pushed towards it, not a problem now as I am really enjoying it, but i just wondered.

I know, I went searching for 5 strings then realised I should be looking for a good one of these as I really like gary's sound and was goign to put a ramp on what i bought anyway.

£350 including postage, can't go wrong*!

*Unless I have been screwed! :)

[quote name='Mikey D' post='19607' date='Jun 18 2007, 01:45 PM']I have a quick question/s for you actually. Do you play upright? Did you ever play upright here? Were you made to feel like you have to play upright? Cause i have basically pushed towards it, not a problem now as I am really enjoying it, but i just wondered.[/quote]

I dont play upright no... I was made to feel like I should, and various people did try and get me to, but I decided not to. Initially, it was because I thought that I should really get my stuff together on the electric (I didn't really play jazz before i started the course, so had a lot of work to do) and didn't want another thing to worry about. Later, I just decided it wasn't me... once I'd told arnie this, he was cool - I still think Jeremey would be happier if I played upright tho :) . I know theres a new silibus (spl?) that started for your year; that might mean you have to play upright?

Swing isn't really my thing; and I dont really listen to that many upright bassists. I think not playing upright has limited me as far as playing and getting gigs go (most people on the course just dont seem to understand that you can play jazz on the electric), but electric bass is me, and its what i want to play!

Hope you get on with your new bass - when are you getting it?

I see...to be honest I would have been happier getting my 6-electric and fretless together, but adding the double bass doesn't bother me that much now. It really did though.

Hopefully get it in a few days...we'll have to have a jam sometime if you are around the college over the summer.

It turned up yesterday at my halls in a massive box. Marks go to the store for great packaging.

So I get it out of the box with case and strap supplied and have a quick look. Can't see anything wrong with it.

I then get to my flat and have a closed look in bright light, I still can't see anything wrong with it.

So I have a quick play acoustically and it has a nice mwah sound and I love the feel of the ramp more than I thought I would (I tend to play over the pickup on my trb when playing with 3 fingers as there is no ramp on there and it makes a nice alternative) but there was still too much room below the strings. However, the action is far too high for my liking 2mm on the high strings and a bit more on the E and A, but of course I got this to restring high c...luckily the set of warwick 5's I ordered turned up as well! bonus.

So I took it into college yesterday and set about restringing it so I could play it through my phil jones rig. Easy to restring due to the cuts in the bridge, and the fact there is no groove on the tuner and even easier to turn the tuners with the ergonomic tri-headed(!?) machine heads. (The stringing job done by Ibanez was a bit shoody to be honest).

Quick play...5 string fretless with high c is what i have been missing all my bass playing life...I set about lowering the action and redoing the intonation. Then I raised the ramp very close to the strings. For me, I don't think I have played a more comfortable bass. It feels more effortless than it should to play fast and string cross.

I now look forward to trying it through my rig tomorrow as another uni bassist needed a rig for a gig down south... :)

I forgot to mention, i have now noticed what "defects" the store said about...very very very minimal paint finish defects on the back that you can't even really see. I think I got a good deal.

Edited by Mikey D