Why become a member? ×

Sacking your students?

shizznit

I've only ever tried teaching once, for free as a favour for a friend. I don't know if it was him or his daughter that wanted the daughter to learn to play Guitar. My aim was just to get her started with the basics.

Every week she would turn up at the right time, but she wouldn't listen, spent the whole time yawning and coughing (without putting her hand over her mouth so I got constantly covered in saliva). And every week I would send her away with a sheet of exercises that she would completely ignore. She just couldn't be bothered and I tried everything I could to get her into it.
In the end I just told her parents that I wasn't cut out for teaching. They took her to a proper Guitar teacher, but that didn't last long either. I haven't tried teaching since.

It's standard practice to charge for missed lessons. Even my dentist charges if you cancel less than 48hours. I believe the NHS won't rebook you if you miss an appointment and you just go back to the end of the line.

We ask for a non returnable deposit when we take bookings for gigs.

If it's just one student then next time he calls tell him that he's missed his slot this week and will have to wait until next week, that it's becoming a regular occurrence and if he cancels again within 48hours he'll be charged for the missed lesson.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1345739628' post='1781137']
Make all students pay a lesson in advance (double fee for first lesson) which is non refundable if they cancel without 24 hours notice. In addition, make it clear that you have lots of students wanting to take lessons and if they miss more than 3 lessons at short notice in a specified time period (mine is 2 months) that it would be considered unreasonable and you'll remove them from your list of students. Simple.
[/quote] yep this is what most do here. Or even call the first one free ( but pay your deposit) and just pay a week in advance

Payment with booking, no reschedule or cancellation within 48 hours of lesson. That makes 'em take it a bit more seriously.

I've had people "waste" my time by not learning, not practicing, but all of them have given up eventually. I've not had to tell anyone to quit, and them that have quit, I have known for some time beforehand that they would do so. To my knowledge nobody has quit and then said it was because I couldn't teach them (or if they did, I've not heard about it).