Why become a member? ×

Drummer Replacement

DogHammer

i have a theory that just about every session musician is normally great at what they do. when i think of artists like Paolo Nutini, i always think of his bassist, Michael McDaid, as a bit of a genius. especially their live gigs.

same could be said for noel gallaghers high flying birds. noel himself isn't a great guitarist, but he can write a good song, and the guys he has in his band are first rate at what they do.

if i was auditioning for musicians, i would tend to go more towards the sessionists, if thats a word. but give everyone their fair chance. its just more likely that a session player could be a bit better than the rest.

I'm depping for an originals band on thursday night. I've seen them play before and wasn't really impressed with their rhythm section. Practice tomorrow so I'll see if it was the drummer or the bass player that was holding them back, not looking forward to it as I've been playing with the same drummer in my main band since we were 13!!! I'll report back tomorrow.

Alrighty,

The gig with our new drummer on Thursday went really well. Comments from people who have seen us before were really positive, and they think our sound is considerably better with the new drummer.

We were the 2nd on of 3 bands that night, and we sounded the best in my and most of the crowds impressions.... (I went around asking for opinions)

The new drummer really enjoyed playing with us too, and likes our original material.

We had a practice last night too, and wrote a new song, with our new drummers flair to it. Sounds really great, kind of fresh rock sounding if that makes sense.

[quote name='allihts' timestamp='1346414546' post='1788936']
maybe my standards are too high and I'm a musical snob?[/quote]

Just answer this question and we'll know:
Are people like Bill Bruford and his ilk good enough?
Yes?
You're not a snob then. Solved!

Keep your standards up!

best,
bert

[quote name='ken_white' timestamp='1345835761' post='1782324']
The trouble i got with my drummer is he's my brother and i can't kick him out.
He has trouble keeping time, And it throws everyone out, and to top it off he has a massive ego and will argue with any help or constructive critism! He just plays the same roles out of time!

we're only a covers band, but i spend hours practicing and trying to get things perfect, and feel quite deflated when i play with him.

Any suggestions?? I'd love to play with a brilliant drummer!!
[/quote]

Buy him this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Time-Region-Import-NTSC/dp/B0002IQM84 it's an awesome DVD he'll learn loads.

why cant you kick him out? if someone isn't pulling their weight, they are out of the band, best friend, family, or anyone. it might seem harsh, but i wont waste my time with anyone who isn't willing to put the effort in. it isn't an easy thing to do either. but needs must sometimes.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1346441341' post='1789372']
why cant you kick him out? if someone isn't pulling their weight, they are out of the band, best friend, family, or anyone. it might seem harsh, but i wont waste my time with anyone who isn't willing to put the effort in. it isn't an easy thing to do either. but needs must sometimes.
[/quote]

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1346441341' post='1789372']
[/quote]

As much as i would like to, its his band so i cant really kick him out, plus he would never forgive for doing that and would more than likely create a family fued as everyone else would take his side and not see it from my perspective.

In saying that i did have an audition for another band tonight, the drummer is fantastic, no egos anywhere to be seen, managed to do 10+ songs in their set list in 2 hours! Got another practice wednesday!
I think i found a decent drummer!!

dont get me wrong guys, i don't take myself too seriously, but it doesn't really do anyone any favours to have someone who is a lot worse than everyone else in the band. i have been reading a thread on here about a chap who got kicked from his band because a potential label said he was too fat. if any label approached me and asked me to get rid of any member based on that, i would tell them to go f*** themselves.

I was in a "band" recently, it was me, my best mate, and some annoying kid (but he's a decent guitarist and singer, he also begged, literally begged me, to be in the band). The problem here was, the kid "over-promises, and under-delivers", not my words, but the words of more than one tutor or friend of his. and it was a shame, but when i saw it was going nowhere, i called him up on it, and said what the case was, and that i wasn't going to do it anymore. i advised my mate to do the same, but he let it drag on, and on, until he lost his rag and told him to go f*** a duck.

for 2 months, the result was 1 practice, absolute no song ideas written down anywhere, or even voiced. it was totally disorganised, and i don't do that.

so i suppose, if you aren't happy in your current band, you should leave. there is nothing to lose i suppose. but i wish you all the best in your new band venture! hope that works out. i think finding good drummers is quite difficult.