Why become a member? ×

Amp line out recording

lowlandtrees

Looking for general pointers on recording bass. I don't have a lot of space so since I only record(don t gig) I was thinking about getting a quality bass head (was thinking Markbass or ?) and recording from the line out. I have been recording several years, using Sonar for the last 2. I have been DI ing. Looking to improve my bass sound although the DI is OK. I have a 78 Ricky 4001 and an MM SUB. I know that many bass line out channels are of poor quality and you get a better mic ed sound but I also have a sound level issue. Have recently bought an AxeTrak for the guitar but am concerned about the quality of that. Would be interested in what other folk do.

Since you'd only be using the pre-amp, a full amp head would be a bit of a waste. You need a nice DI or a pedal you like the sound of, or a purpose built DI. If you have an external recording interface it probably has a built in pre-amp for instrument level input, and this in combination with a VST amp sim might be what you're after.

What would be a quality DI unit? I have a POD Pro that I sometimes put guitar through. I also have access to enough effects in Sonar. I don't use distortion, just after the perfect straight bass sound. I use a Focusrite Saffire 24. Maybe just have to learn to use it better.

you can plug your bass directly into the Focusrite Saffire 24. If you don't have any amp modelling plug-ins for Sonar, try and get one. Alternatively, you should be able to get a good sound going in to your POD (but it will take some playing with the settings) and then into the saffire 24.

Personally, I like to record straight in to my soundcard from the bass. Then, I just add distortion or compression (or both) and use EQ to give me an "amped" sound. I've tried amp modellers but I don't like the sounds as much as this method.

• 1 month later...

Slightly late to this thread I know, but I got very pleasing results (for me anyway) using the following technique:[list=1]
[*]Plug P-bass into [url="http://www.samsontech.com/hartke/products/combos/a-series-combos/a35/"]Hartke A35 combo[/url] with EQ mainly flat, slight bass boost, and Limiter cranked to about 8.
[*]Disconnect internal speaker, connect speaker o/p to [url="http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/GI100.aspx"]Behringer GI-100[/url] DI box with 4x12 speaker simulator engaged.
[*]Connect DI box to DAW, set levels, hit REC!
[/list]
I wanted a big round sound to go underneath the guitar on the recording, and this method avoided the bass overload I always seemed to get using a Korg Pandora. You can hear the results (demo for my pop covers band ChartBeat) [url="https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32485154/ChartBeat/ChartBeat_Demo.mp3"]here[/url].

BTW I am not affiliated with Fender, Hartke, or Behringer! <_<