Why become a member? ×

Aguilar DB751, Ampeg SVT Classic or my EBS Fafner2

nonkel26

Hi, I am thinking about replacing my EBS Fafner 2 With a Aggie DB 751 or a Ampeg SVT Classic. It is not that my Fafner2 doesn't sound good but most of the time I play a CCR-tribute repertoire and I use my '68 Precision to do so. Don't get me wrong, The fafner2 is a fantastic amp and it has so (read "to") much possibility's in it but I only use it flat for my sound. I think overall it is sounding a little to "modern" for my needs.
I see Stu Cook himself is playing the Aguilar. That means something.
I never played an Aguilar DB or a SVT Classic so if anyone could help me with they're experiences with both or either of these amps and differences it would be very helpfull for me.
For cabs I use a Hevos Powerset (it's a dutch company). They are lite and the sound is just fantastic, even at (very) high volumes! very powerfull and warm! So I'm keeping these! Any feedback or input is welcome!

Thx,
Dirk

not played the fafner but if i were you id atleast give the aggie a go! there awesome amps really loud and well made, for me when i tested my old db750 againet the svt cl the cl just couldnt keep up! plus it weighs alot more the the db heads! also just to throw a curveball have you considered the ag500? very nice head if you dnt need the dual channels they do the ag500sc very nice loud head depending on what you plug into should be more than enough power? and saves the old back?

andy

From side by side I have always been able to get a 'vintage' sound out of my Fafner mkI with a 1978/9 Precision. The Fafner II looks a bit daunting to use, but with the EQ shaping possibilities a 'vintage growl' should be eminently possible. Just turn the EQ filters off, that removes quite a lot of the 'modern' sound to the head, set the eq yourself and set the drive so that all of the signal is going through the drive valve, rather than just everything above 600Hz or so. In my opinion some amps sound great run 'flat' but the Fafner models are not these models, unless you have a very powerful onboard eq.

In a side by side comparison I preferred both the Aguilar 751 and the EBS Fafner I to the Ampeg SVT Classic. The 751 v Fafner I was essentially a tie and neither really sounded much more 'vintage' than the other. I wouldn't really want to take a financial hit of getting rid of one to get the other. If 'looking vintage' was really important though, I would maybe take the Aquilar, the Fafner II has a bit of a space-ship look to it.

Thanks guy's,
I just went to a store where I was able to play the Aggie as well as a heritage SVT Classic and compare it with my fafner II.
I must say that I fell for the Aggie! The difference in sound with my fafner was big enough to make me change my set-up! The SVT did sound very nice too but I found the Aggie was a bit warmer and smoother and it was nicer (softer...cant find the right words) in the higher frequenties! That together with the weight made me decide to go for the Aggie!
So if anyone is interested, my Fafner II is now in the "for sale" section! :-)