Why become a member? ×

Attempting a build

newbass1000

This question might seem pretty obvious or basic to some of you, but i've never really looked into the gear side of things so here goes,

I've been looking for a backup bass for my jazz and after playing around with some p basses, decided that would be the right path to choose, however, I really can't stand the necks, so i'm wondering, is it possible to stick a jazz neck on a precision body?

If so what would be the cheapest way to do this with the best sounding results, I was thinking putting a fender neck on a squier body with some new Pickups in, but that's just a shot in the dark, some advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1345054919' post='1773005']
Not had the best experience with squiers, I know they really vary quality-wise, are the P bass specials decent?
[/quote]
May I ask why you think a P is a good backup for a J? It sounds to me like either you like the sound of a P, or prefer the body shape.

The current higher end Squiers like the VMs and CVs are excellent quality, I have played a bunch of them, guitars and basses, they were all excellent quality and great value for money.

Another option is to look on a US ebay shop called the Stratosphere (AKA Reliable Fender). They sell loaded and unloaded Fender bodies, and necks, the have auctions and BINs. Put one together. You should find a PJ body on there, and a nice Fender neck, they should fit. I've done it. It's a great place, totally trustworthy, quick shipping, good prices (Fender tried to shut the guy down a couple of years ago for undercutting them :)), and the exchange rate is decent at the moment.

Some bodies below (search 'Precision Deluxe'), too many Jazz necks to list :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOADED-2010-Fender-Special-Active-Precision-P-BASS-BODY-Blizzard-Pearl-/190693300860?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c6634da7c#ht_950wt_956

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2012-Fender-Deluxe-Active-Precision-BASS-Special-BODY-HARDWARE-Candy-Apple-Red-/360475664130?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53ee061f02#ht_826wt_956

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-USA-Deluxe-Fender-Precision-P-BASS-BODY-BRIDGE-50-OFF-/360409133911?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53ea0ef357#ht_862wt_956

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-USA-Deluxe-Fender-Precision-P-BASS-BODY-BRIDGE-50-OFF-/360405350780?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53e9d5397c#ht_862wt_956

Edited by silddx

Well not so much a backup, probably the wrong expression, call it just another bass to play around on, i've used the same bass for a while now, some variety's nice.

I used to own a vm Squier a while back, whilst noticably better than my first squier, it's not as good as my mex fender, which is only to be expected as it's less than half the price, although I have heard of some VM Squiers that are better than other mex fenders.

Some of the bodies look gorgeous, and the price isn't too bad, shame about the P+P mind but I guess it's not too much to fork out, I'd probably like to spend under 500, the cheaper the better really.

[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1345053533' post='1772976']
If so what would be the cheapest way to do this with the best sounding results, I was thinking putting a fender neck on a squier body with some new Pickups in, but that's just a shot in the dark, some advice would be much appreciated!
Cheers
[/quote]
Hi,

Yes all is possible. I did the same as you apart from i stuck a US P Bass neck onto a Squier P Bass body. I got some pickups from the US and an old wiring kit. I also bought some nice Fender machine heads. Took about 3 weeks to get all the bits together and a summers evening to assemble the monster. I used it live and in the studio then GAS'd for another bass so took it all apart and sold the Squier with the Squier neck. I still have the US PuPs and the wiring kit. I sold the neck to another Basschatter. I learnt quite a lot about bass construction, soldering, wiring etc which was the object of the exercise. I also learnt that i was sh*t at soldering :(

You have to keep in mind that to anyone else this Frankenstein bass will have little monetary value so be prepared to shell out and not recoup your investment.

Total cost for the build was £350.

Looked like this:

[quote name='BottomE' timestamp='1345062383' post='1773145']
Hi,

Yes all is possible. I did the same as you apart from i stuck a US P Bass neck onto a Squier P Bass body. I got some pickups from the US and an old wiring kit. I also bought some nice Fender machine heads. Took about 3 weeks to get all the bits together and a summers evening to assemble the monster. I used it live and in the studio then GAS'd for another bass so took it all apart and sold the Squier with the Squier neck. I still have the US PuPs and the wiring kit. I sold the neck to another Basschatter. I learnt quite a lot about bass construction, soldering, wiring etc which was the object of the exercise. I also learnt that i was sh*t at soldering :(

You have to keep in mind that to anyone else this Frankenstein bass will have little monetary value so be prepared to shell out and not recoup your investment.

Total cost for the build was £350.

Looked like this:

[/quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This seems like the path for me, Although I probably wouldn't trust myself with a soldering iron, but what better time to learn eh, I think the problem is, I can't really try it out beforehand, so If all goes to sh*t, then that's 300-400 quid to pot, yours seems to have turned out pretty well anyway, how did it compare to a mex standard? how did the pickups fare up? [/font][/color]

Or buy a cheap used Squier Precision and Jazz, swap the necks, sell on the Jazz & P neck as a bass, keep the other.

If you stick with VM's or CV's you can't go wrong. I've just put a CV neck on a VM body, fit damn near perfect. Total build cost me about £175.

Edit; there's an American site called Talkbass.com. on there are sections called 'tricked out Squiers' and 'Squier perfect fit replacement parts' there is a guy who put a VM maple/blocks neck on a fiesta red CV precision body, it looked very nice, do a search you may find it. HTH.

Edited by Cygnus x-1

[quote name='newbass1000' timestamp='1345063727' post='1773178']
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]This seems like the path for me, Although I probably wouldn't trust myself with a soldering iron, but what better time to learn eh, I think the problem is, I can't really try it out beforehand, so If all goes to sh*t, then that's 300-400 quid to pot, yours seems to have turned out pretty well anyway, how did it compare to a mex standard? how did the pickups fare up? [/font][/color]
[/quote]

Its one of those things that you just have to bite the bullet and go for - hope for the best but prepare for the worst. The number of times i nearly put the hot soldering iron down on the bass body :rolleyes:

Fortunately it all worked out but i'd hesitate to do it to a more upmarket bass as i am a bit of a klutz. Rather pay someone who knows what they are doing.

The pickups sounded pretty good to me. I used it on this recording [url="http://soundcloud.com/bottome/i-love-dance"]http://soundcloud.com/bottome/i-love-dance[/url] and this one [url="http://soundcloud.com/bottome/back-to-river-susan-tedeschi"]http://soundcloud.com/bottome/back-to-river-susan-tedeschi[/url]

The bass felt ok - can't compare it to a Mex Fender because they vary a lot, or at least the ones i have played. On the other hand I'd say £300 - £400 could buy you a pretty good second hand bass these days :ph34r: