Why become a member? ×

String recommendations

ken_white

Well the last strings that i bought were bass center strings which didn't seem too bad,but that was a cheap 4 string i spent a lot of time learning on.
Now i got the BTB i like the sound of it but i wondered what other people used, but i guess most people stick to4 or 5 strings lol

What strings do you use?

Yeah i love BTB too :-)

There ok i guess, but i was thinking of trying Rotosounds just because i've never tried them before.

I think that's the way to go, try a few different sets and see which one i get with and then make a decision!

So how often do you restring your bass? or is that down to personal preference too? lol

[quote name='ken_white' timestamp='1344897875' post='1770955']So how often do you restring your bass? or is that down to personal preference too? lol
[/quote]

Pretty much! Some (like me) want a zingy, clangy sound that you can only really get from new strings. If that is your preference and you gig/rehearse regularly, sweat lots and use cheaper strings, that could mean changing them every week!! :o

Other people hate changing strings and only start to like the sound they make when they have been on a few months!

Totally down to personal preference.

Brand-wise, there are so many to try.... I like DRs at the moment. HiBeams for clang, Fatbeams for a bit more mid.... I haven't tried Sunbeams but they are reckoned to be more mellow and middy. Different strings sound different on different basses too... and don't even get me started on gauges!! :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1344942109' post='1771339']
Pretty much! [b]Some (like me) want a zingy, clangy sound that you can only really get from new strings[/b]. If that is your preference and you gig/rehearse regularly, sweat lots and use cheaper strings, that could mean changing them every week!! :o

[/quote]

^^^^^ I can relate to that!! I love new string sound, especially on the D-1! But my DR Neons have been on for a few months and still sound pretty good, even if the coating is coming off in certain areas!

Try many strings, I do like Ernie Super Slinkies though!!

Loads of string reviews on talkbass here if that's of any help in deciding what to try next - [url="http://www.talkbass.com/reviews/showcat.php/cat/17"]http://www.talkbass....wcat.php/cat/17[/url]

Edited by ikay

[quote name='ken_white' timestamp='1344897875' post='1770955']
I think that's the way to go, try a few different sets and see which one i get with and then make a decision!

[/quote]

Sounds like a plan :)

Also keep in mind that each string gauge/brand will have its own feel. Flatwound Thomastiks tend to feel really floppy (IME) while Rotosounds generally have a more stiff feel. Watch out for cheap low B strings too...you'd be surprised how many defective ones can slip through QA and make it onto people's basses.

I get to try out a lot of strings on a lot of basses and (at the moment) I'd recommend checking out:

LaBellas

Rotosounds

DRs (I've been told that their quality is a little inconsistent, but all the sets I've used have been very good).

[quote name='XylemBassGuitar' timestamp='1345046703' post='1772839']DRs (I've been told that their quality is a little inconsistent, but all the sets I've used have been very good).
[/quote]

I've heard that too - but all my experiences have been positive! :)