Why become a member? ×

Urgent Help Please! :) (Please?)

misterook

Hello!

I'm in a bit of a situation whereby an event I'm playing in East London on Saturday need me to bring my own backline (yep... we're the only band with bass guitar...!).

I commute from Leeds, and have recently (stupidly) got rid of my emergency amp from London. I wouldn't normally hesitate driving, but this Sat will be my first day off working 12 x 12 hour days straight. I really need to sleep on the train down!

It's a really great gig, for Soundcrash (If you're into new soul / funk / electronica, you might have heard of them. At the Dalston Roof Park. There's a BBQ, and it lasts all day. If you can help, I can sort you petrol money and a guestie. And beer too, as long as someone else is driving you! ;)

http://www.soundcrashmusic.com/roof-party-ii/

It's a real shot in the dark...

Can anyone help please?

We're a 7 piece Orchestral Electronica thing... likened to Portishead, Zero 7, Massive Attack, Fink, Lamb... that kinda vain.. we have a vid here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l00A_TyUrmA

Woody

[quote name='misterook' timestamp='1343845908' post='1756305']

It's a real shot in the dark...

Can anyone help please?

Woody
[/quote]

Wish I could help man. But I don't use backline.

Why not pick up an active DI like a SansAmp, Hartke VXL, even a cheap Behringer, and go direct to desk. As long as you have a PA that can handle bass (which I imagine there will be given the event) you'll be fine, I do it all the time. You need not worry about tone, these little boxes kick serious arse.

I remember playing Larmer Tree festival a few years ago, I bought a Hartke VXL Bass Attack DI in the morning, read the little manual on the way there, and set it up during soundcheck. The monitor mix soundguy said I had great tone. I've had a sansamp too, top stuff. I use a POD X3 Live direct to the desk now, never owned a bass amp. As long as you have some bass in your monitors you'll be perfectly fine.

I'm sure there's a BCer who could lend you one of these. I reckon every bassist should have one in their bag anyway, just in case their amp goes down.

Best of luck

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1343989365' post='1758211']
Wish I could help man. But I don't use backline.

Why not pick up an active DI like a SansAmp, Hartke VXL, even a cheap Behringer, and go direct to desk. As long as you have a PA that can handle bass (which I imagine there will be given the event) you'll be fine, I do it all the time. You need not worry about tone, these little boxes kick serious arse.

I remember playing Larmer Tree festival a few years ago, I bought a Hartke VXL Bass Attack DI in the morning, read the little manual on the way there, and set it up during soundcheck. The monitor mix soundguy said I had great tone. I've had a sansamp too, top stuff. I use a POD X3 Live direct to the desk now, never owned a bass amp. As long as you have some bass in your monitors you'll be perfectly fine.

I'm sure there's a BCer who could lend you one of these. I reckon every bassist should have one in their bag anyway, just in case their amp goes down.

Best of luck
[/quote]

Good post and good advice. The behringer ones are £35 well spent.

Last resort is to get in touch with the organisers and see if you can contact the sound people. I don't know a sound man worth his salt that wouldn't have a spare DI box handy. Yeah your bass would be hitting the desk with no colour on it, but it's better than nothing.

Edited by Commando Jack

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1343992792' post='1758293']
Good post and good advice. The behringer ones are £35 well spent.

Last resort is to get in touch with the organisers and see if you can contact the sound people. I don't know a sound man worth his salt that wouldn't have a spare DI box handy. Yeah your bass would be hitting the desk with no colour on it, but it's better than nothing.
[/quote]

It would almost certainly be a passive DI though, he'll really need an active DI.