Why become a member? ×

Variax XPS di power question.

Maude

Firstly I'm new around here so be gentle :D .

I've just bought a used Variax but it isn't coming with any extras so no TRS cable, Di or power cable.

I know you can just use rechargable AA's and a standard lead but I just know I'll get to a gig and realise I haven't charged the batteries so I need to make up a power supply.
5m TRS cable, about a tenner on ebay,
9v power supply, just a normal pedal one,
They're both easy, I'm gonna use an old A/B box with a stereo jack socket wired in for the input and then the two standard outs, one to amp and one to a tuner.
What I need to know is which part of the cable does the power go to, tip, ring or sleeve? And I assume it will earth through the negative side of the sound signal.
I hope my question makes sense, I'm no electrical whizz but this should be simple enough.
I haven't got the bass yet so can't have a look but was hoping someone here might already know. Or even better have a link to a wiring diagram for the XPS Di box.

Thanks in advance :)

Allan.

Details are a little vague, as I'm sure you've already discovered.

However, I did perform a little repair on our guitarists Variax DI box a few months ago, and that was wired to send the +ve supply through the ring and the -ve supply shared the sleeve.

I very much doubt that the guitar version differs from the bass version. :)

Cheers guys :)

@ Police squad, is that because you're using it as a DI or is the bass that thirsty? Does the XPS do anything else that uses that power? It does seem strange that a 9V battery will power it but not a proper pedal board PSU.
Mine will just be power for the bass.
I see you can get an alternative replacement PSU on ebay for just under £15, 9V AC 2000mA, although Line 6 sell them for twenty something including vat and postage, I didn't write it down as when they said they couldn't supply the XPS I lost interest, the chap said it would be cheaper to get one from ebay though, at least they weren't doing the old "you must use a Line 6 PSU or it will bring about the end of the world" line :D .

I also want a pick guard off the sunburst one as I really don't like the pearloid on black theme, I think it would look nice with the red tort on a black one but they can't supply that either :( , if anyones got one :), I'll probably get one knocked up in red tort if not.

Anyway thanks again.

Maude,
I use the XPS with a Variax JTV-59 (the new les paul shaped thing, with magnetic pickups).
I use the XPS as an A-B switch (to switch the acoustic sounds into the PA) and also to power the guitar.
I have no experience with the older variax batteries, but the new one does last well. But I needed the A-B switch and the fact that the XPS powers it is a bonus.
I know it runs on batteries and I just don't understand it either. But I was pointed in the right direction by the line 6 forum and the voodoo labs forum.
Sure buy a replacement on ebay, as long as it's the equivalent to the line 6. If it powers a line 6 pod, it will work. I just happened to have a pod so I robbed its PSU.

Thanks Police squad,

It's this one on ebay ([url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150835879478?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_1674wt_1110"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150835879478?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648#ht_1674wt_1110[/url])

I reckon I'll give it a go. I have an old blue metal cased (DOD I think) passive A/B box which I'm going to use instead of the XPS, solder in a stereo input with instrument pos/PSU pos/ instrument & PSU neg for the TRS lead and then send the outputs to my amp head and a tuner, the AB will mute my signal for tuning and then just be straight through for playing.

What's the worst that can happen, fry my new Variax :blink: :D ?

Thanks for the help, it'll be here on Friday so let the fun begin :) .