Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB 425X

brensabre79

Hey Bren

Where are you getting your BB425X for £369, I've been on the look out for a 424x, but fancy a new challenge of a five string as well. £369 is a the same price I can find 424x's for, thinking if I can get a 425x for the same price as a 424x then I can kill two birds with one bass :)

Its arrived!! NBD

First impressions are, I really like the look and the build quality seems pretty top notch (for the money). I have to say the finish on the neck is the only slight disappointment. Its a bit rough in places - almost feels like its not actually finished at all but bare wood! And the frets do seem to hang over a little which, whilst not sharp, is a little uncomfortable (although I'm used to a bound neck - maybe this is a rosewood/unbound thing as I've played other basses that are like this).

I had a Squier VM Jazz which was a much nicer neck, but the rest of that bass was not as good as this. I think I'll be getting the sandpaper and lacquer out soon as its the only thing that bothers me out of the box...

I find the neck radius a little flat compared to what I'm used to, but moving over to 5 strings for the first time ever that is the least of my worries! I'm sure I'll get used to that soon enough.

Pickups are POWERFUL and fruity :) Sound is great, really focused.

Hardware seems solid enough, as does the construction.

Its nicely set up out of the box too, I just had to tune it and drop the bridge pickup a couple of mm as it was waaayyyy louder than the P pickup. So its ready to roll.

I'm going to take it to a band practice tonight, hopefully I wont be playing everything in the wrong key!! I'll take a pic later.