Why become a member? ×

Tech 21 VT Bass deluxe - What do I use it with?

thebrig

[b]I originally started this thread in "Effects", but it might be better to post it here. [/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Due to back problems, I have gone down the lightweight route in purchasing a [/font][/color][b]Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0-12[/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][b]T [/b]plus a[b] Genz Benz 2x10 cab[/b]. It's a lovely set up, but it does lack the punch and warmth that you get with bigger and heavier rigs, so I am considering getting a [/font][/color][b]Tech 21 VT Bass deluxe [/b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]to beef up the sound.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]We play mainly classic rock and blues, so I am seeking that "[/font][/color][i][b]old school[/b][/i][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]" tone.[/font][/color]

[b][i][u]My questions are:[/u][/i][/b]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1. Will it work ok with my rig, and if so, what settings should I use on the amp, should I set it to as clean/neutral as possible?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]2. Would I be better off running it through a power amp into my 2x10 cab, and if so, what power amp would you recommend?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Should I consider a 1x15 or 2x12" cab to go with it?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]3. Would it sound ok through the PA?[/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I've only been playing a few years, so not really up on the tech side of things, so any help would be appreciated. [/font][/color]

I`ve not used this specific pedal, but did have the tech 21 Sansamp bass Driver, and leaving an amp flat, and controlling the eq from the pedal, I found to be the best option. That way, if I went through FOH PA, the sound would be roughly the same (aside from whatever the person on the desk does).

Re cabs, well I found that the Sansamp really adds depth and warmth, irrespective of cab size, so again, would expect the VT to do the same.