Why become a member? ×

Set up day.

oggiesnr

Almost the same as new strings day :)

I've just got my bass back from having it set up and I'm amazed. I had the neck shot, bridge reset, the metal tail piece replaced and a new set of strings (spirocore mediums) put on and the difference is stunning. It's really opened up the bottom end and is so much easier to play.

OK so this cost me the same as I paid for the bass in the first place (£250) but I think it's well worth it. It also bought home to me the truth of all the comments I've read here about the value of a good set up.

Now I'm off to see if my bass tutor agrees!

Steve

PS I'm also dropping off a "little" quarter size bass which is also stunning, so much volume for a small instrument.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1343114368' post='1745264']
Good stuff :) Where did you have the work done?
[/quote]

Peter Hall in Beverley, telephone numbers are - [size="4"]Beverley (01482) 888654 (or mobile 07901 591965).[/size]

[size="4"]Steve[/size]

I still haven't had a professional fettle the bargain bass I bought from gedo-musik a couple of months back. I keep meaning to do it but I don't want it to go away for however long it would go away for. :/

I bought a Rode NT1-A the other day and while trying it out I stuck it infront of my bass at bridge height and jammed away, and was really surprised at what a lovely airy, woody sound it's got. I know there are some things that can be improved in terms of playability (finish on the back of the neck is poor) but I'm curious to know if it could sound even better with some professional attention.

My other bass is living with a friend while her bass gets repaired though, so I have a wait until I can think about doing it.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1343155204' post='1746290']
I still haven't had a professional fettle the bargain bass I bought from gedo-musik a couple of months back. I keep meaning to do it but I don't want it to go away for however long it would go away for. :/

[/quote]

Mine was away for six days, mainly because like most cheap basses it has a painted fingerboard.

Steve