Why become a member? ×

My Shuker 6 String Single-Cut Bolt-On

eude

Hey guys,
Got this beast last year, had a full build thread over on bassworld, but I thought I'd move some of it over here just in case anyone is interested.

I wanted a kind of "modern classic" bass, classic in looks but with a very wide sonic palette. I agonised for ages over whether to go for a Jazz or Precision style body, as I've got a real soft spot for both, but I finally opted for the Jazz, but after talking to Jon about single-cuts he was happy to help me out for a little more cash.
I wanted something with real balls, as it was to replace a Warwick Thumb Bass Bolt-On, but quite lightweight and very comfortable to play. Jon absolutely nailed it too!

I went for a 33" scale, because I'm not the biggest of guys, and I've found some basses a bit of a stretch, over long periods of playing anyway. When I was in Boston the year before I ordered the bass, I got to play a Fodera Matt Garrison 5 string, which was tuned B to G and had a 33" scale, it just felt and sounded perfect and the B string was better than any I've ever played, including a 36"er and some other boutique brands that I won't name. This experience kinda made it clear, to me anyway, that a decent B string is more to do with build quality than through body stringing and massive scale lengths. Of course a 36" bass will always have a tighter sounding B string, that's basic physics, but it is possible to make a shorter scale instrument that can easily handle lower than standard tuning.
Also, with the slightly shorter scale, you get an added sweetness to the higher strings and upper register, almost like a good jazz guitar.

OK I'm going on too much!

Here's the specs >>

6 STRING FRETTED SINGLE-CUT BOLT-ON

BODY >>
white ash body - a bit more balls than swamp ash
squareish front edge (to mimic old slab style bodies) forearm contour, rear rib carve and rear edge rounded to 1/2"
dark amboina burr drop top
individual bridge units
17mm spacing
black hardware
2 X EMG 45DC - neck and bridge
shuker 3 band eq (internal gain and mid freq control)
satin topcoat

NECK >>
33" scale
24 frets
medium frets
5 piece maple/wenge neck
20.5mm deep at 1st fret, 22mm at 12th, gentle C profile, pretty slim
rosewood board
20" radius
dark amboina burr headstock veneer
gotoh gb707 tuners
57mm nut
carbon fibre neck reinforcement
MOP side dots only
two way truss rod
brass nut
satin finish

Now the pics >>

[attachment=68:00.jpg]

[attachment=69:01.jpg]

[attachment=70:02.jpg]

[attachment=71:03.jpg]

[attachment=72:04.jpg]

[attachment=73:05.jpg]

[attachment=74:06.jpg]

[attachment=75:07.jpg]

[attachment=76:08.jpg]

Almost a year on I'm still over the moon with the bass, it's exactly what I wanted and more!
I've seriously not played any of my other basses since getting this, in fact I sold a few off as surplus!
The bass is so responsive and versatile!

If you're in the market for a custom bass, I can't recommend Shuker's enough, Jon is an incredibly helpful and down to earth guy, oh and a brilliant luthier too.
If anyone has any questions, fire away.

Spose I'd better get some work done!

Cheers,
Eude

I have to say Eude, if I was going to buy another 6 I think it would be pretty much exactly the same as that. I've always liked the idea of 6s but have never got on with them, but I think a 33" scale would be perfect. Would you mind me asking how much that beauty cost?

Cheers

Gareth

[quote name='walbassist' post='1266' date='May 18 2007, 11:00 AM']I have to say Eude, if I was going to buy another 6 I think it would be pretty much exactly the same as that. I've always liked the idea of 6s but have never got on with them, but I think a 33" scale would be perfect. Would you mind me asking how much that beauty cost?

Cheers

Gareth[/quote]

You got a PM dude!

Eude