Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Phil Jones amps

dove

Has anyone got a view on the Phil Jones series of bass amps for use with double bass.
Looking at the briefcase or flight case.
I'm playing small/medium size gigs.Americana/country/latin and a bit of jazz and
using an 8o's Zeller.

read only good things so far but usually pertaining to electric bass.

many thanks

Maybe not the view your after, but, I'm using a couple of PJB 4b cabs (with Acoustic Image Clarus head) for double bass and IMO sounds great.

I presume you'll be using the DB with a pre-amp before going to the PJB amp, as the impedance for the PJB amp will be more suited to magnetic pick-ups (don't know how your Zeller's set up).

I do use a lr baggs preamp but it's handy to know the amps will require matching.Currently using a realistic transducer sometimes
blended with a neck mag.Also used an uhderwood.Current plan to fit bridge adjusters and try a fish man full circle with a flight case.
Looking for true reproduction really but then isn't everyone...? Don't require huge volume.

thanks

I've been using the PJB CUB recently (Zeller hybrid with Realist) and it was great...not loud, but ok for very small "almost acoustic" gigs. The only thing I didn't like was the slight background electronic whistle noise, but I never heard in a gig setting...only at home with nothing else going on. The preamp was very easy to work with, and the mute switch was a nice touch for double bass.

Briefcase user here and can confirm that my Stagg EUB sounds the dogs spherical's through it. In fact, the Briefcase seems more at home with the EUB than with a standard bass guitar (not that it sounds bad with the BG). Not much volume but more than enough for home practice, keeping up with a couple of acoustic guitars. Wouldn't really like to gig with just the briefcase but great when there is PA support for your FOH sound.

Ed Friedland likes phil jones with DB - DB bit at the end of both vids

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk5iqx79jUE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk5iqx79jUE[/url]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfzl242K3kI&feature=related[/media]

Edited by gjones