Why become a member? ×

How can I eliminate humm from an Insert lead ?

bolov

I am using a tonebone on my pedalboard which is great as it allows me to use 2 basses and just works really well (apart from the humm) for my set up. The problem I have is that the effects loop on the tonebone is a TRS insert type jack so I have to use an isert lead. I am getting some humm from this as it is un shielded. I have tried routing it away from all my power leads etc but still getting humm ... ideas appreciated..?

It shouldnt hum, and it shouldnt be unshielded, it will be unbalanced however.

A decent quality TRS insert Y cable should be sufficiently shielded that at the level it should be driven it wont hum appreciably.

I'd be inclined to look at the lead and jack plug quality firest and foremost....

[quote name='bolov' timestamp='1341824137' post='1724461']
I am getting some humm from this as it is un shielded. I have tried routing it away from all my power leads etc but still getting humm ... ideas appreciated..?
[/quote]

Line and instrument level leads need to be shielded. Replace the cable with one that is.

• 2 weeks later...

I would talk to our own OBBM at http://bassic-bits.co.uk/ and ask him to turn you out an insert cable the right size for your board. That way you know it will be quality bale (Klotz is his favourite) using quality (Neutriks) jacks, made right.