Why become a member? ×

Can you recommend a good guitar book please?

Mornats

Hola amigos,

No idea why I started this in Spanish but that's beside the point. I want to, and need to learn a bit more guitar work. I'm starting to get the hang of putting guitar stuff into my tracks (for recording, I don't play bass and guitar live at the same time) and think it's time I learned a bit of technique and theory.

I had a look through Guitar for Dummies, having read the Bass for Dummies book and thought it was quite good. However I was instantly put off with the Michael Row Your Boat Ashore, Silent Night, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star bits in them. I just simply do not want to contemplate playing those. I'd rather have something more interesting to play, even as examples.

So, I'm after a book to help me with chords (easy chords, moving between chords, adding extra notes to chords to change them from one chord to another), power chords - pros and cons, hints tips etc. melody, constructing melodies from scales (triads, extending triads, etc.), strumming technique, exercises, practice routines etc. Starting with fairly basic stuff and moving into stuff like sustained chords and the like. A nice easy learning curve is what I'm looking for.

As a comparison, as I said the Bass for Dummies book was great, I've also got 3 of Rikky Rooksby's books (How to write songs on guitar, How to write songs on keyboards and the one about Riffs) which are all good but aren't designed to be instructional books on playing guitar.

Musical genre is broadly "rock" but basically any electric guitar genre is fine to learn for me. Classical acoustic guitar isn't something I'm looking at right now (but would be fantastic later on maybe).

I'm fairly competent on bass and do some guitar work although I have to record chords separately and combine them together in Reaper as I can't change between them quickly and I have to google each one before I play it! I can play a little lead (almost soloing!) by going over the notes in the scale but that's about it. Oh, power chords I can do but hey, that's fairly easy to pick up with practice :) A book with a good mix of theory and practice (exercises, sample riffs etc. to play) would be great. I'm not averse to DVDs either.

Cheers all!
Nats.

• 2 weeks later...

i got the vast majority of my guitar knowledge from 'the guitar handbook' by ralph denyer.

it's not all useful (too much info on 'classic guitarists' and really basic electronics imho), but the theory's sections are great.

that and the first few blur albums where the chords were written with the lyrics were how i learned to play guitar

Edited by ahpook