Why become a member? ×

Damage to finish on Ibanez bass

Jellyfish

Hi guys. I've been told that this kind of damage is quite easy to repair, but i'm not too sure. The bass is stained a black colour and I believe the finish on it is quite thin (it's an Ibanez Prestige 4005E 'Transparent Black' finish). Does anyone have any experience in repairing this kind of damage that can help me? Thanks. :)

Well it certainly doesn't bother me as much as the rubber knobs :) so I don't mind the damage being there. As I said, I heard it might be an easy fix and so I was prepared to put a minimal amount of effort in if that was the case. If not, it'll stay that way. :)

[quote name='Jellyfish' timestamp='1341686073' post='1722840']
Hi guys. I've been told that this kind of damage is quite easy to repair, but i'm not too sure. The bass is stained a black colour and I believe the finish on it is quite thin (it's an Ibanez Prestige 4005E 'Transparent Black' finish). Does anyone have any experience in repairing this kind of damage that can help me? Thanks. :)[/quote]

Just fixed similar on a Washburn guitar. I had a few quizzical looks in Boots as I compared their various nail varnishes to find an off white pearloid finish. That was my alibi & I'm sticking to it!
But it worked, plenty of time to dry (next day) & then rubbed it back flush with Brasso/Duraglit metal polish wadding.
NB. If you give it a pop dry a dab in a place you can't see (under a knob - rubber or otherwise for eg.) in case the chemical bases don't like each other.

Though as already said - I've also used shoe polish to good effect on an open grain.

^ :lol:

I was stalked by the Boots Store Detective when I kept oscillating between the different aisles of nail polish with my open rucksack in hand on a quest for Surf Green .

This body was in the rucksack , and I ended up with two shades because the 15-yr old poly had faded unevenly ;

( The two little bottles are indeed nail polish ;) )