Why become a member? ×

Decals

Pow_22

Just managed to fcuk up my FOURTH waterslide decal on my project. At £10 a pop this is turning into the most expensive part of my project. Anyone know where i can just buy vinyl sticker type decals? Ive watched numerous youtube vids, followed all instructions precisely but they just either crease, rip or fold :(

I honestly wouldn't go the vinyl route, they will look exactly like you've put a sticker ove the top.
I'm not exactly good when it comes to the finer detail work myself, but never had trouble with a waterslide. I just soak it in a bowl of WARM water until it peels itself off, wet the surface the decal is going on and it should just suck itself on, slide it gently into position and smooth it over with WET finger to get the water from underneath and leave it to dry naturally.
This probably isn't the answer you wanted I know, but I'd steer clear of stickers.
You can get some waterslide inkject paper online I think, might be an idea to have a few practice goes with your own logo or something before you spend ££s on a proper one.

I used to make my own using my printer and decal paper. It's great for practising with and a lot less expensive. Next time you buy a decal, scan it at high resolution then use that as your template for printing onto the decal paper. You can print loads on a single A4 sheet of paper.

Tip - Buy some clear gloss from Halfords and spray the cut out decal from the printed paper before dipping it in water to remove it otherwise the ink will run.

Not as good as bought Decals but not a bad job either.

To be fair they can be quite tricky to start with - splits, ripples, bubbles etc. and then once you've got it absolutely perfectly in place you've to watch and not rub through it with your sandpaper as you layer on (and rub back) your lacquer.
I find that slightly off-cold water rather than warm helps, as it gives you more time to adjust and move it about before it dries on.
The problem with homemade jobs is that unless you have a printer that can do gold or silver they will be naff... they can be a really good way to practice though.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' timestamp='1341647885' post='1722179']
I used to make my own using my printer and decal paper. It's great for practising with and a lot less expensive. Next time you buy a decal, scan it at high resolution then use that as your template for printing onto the decal paper. You can print loads on a single A4 sheet of paper.

Tip - Buy some clear gloss from Halfords and spray the cut out decal from the printed paper before dipping it in water to remove it otherwise the ink will run.

Not as good as bought Decals but not a bad job either.
[/quote]

+1 to the clear gloss spray. Works fine for me.