Why become a member? ×

Does anyone want a J Backlund guitar?

Ancient Mariner

Seems they're trying to kickstart a Korean manufacturing venture:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2926272-J.Backlund-design-announces-new-Korean-made-models!

I'm going to sleep on this, but will likely go for a guitar and bass combined package tomorrow. It will mean selling my Heritage Les Paul, but that's fine.

Looks interesting, although it's a pity that the chosen design is IMO one of his less inspired. It always saddens me that when a manufacturer goes mainstream it tends to be with a conservative design as though they were ignoring the fact that one of the things that has attracted musicians to their guitars in the first place is that they don't all look like everyone else's.

At $500 for a guitar I might well be tempted. Can't see myself getting the bass though as IMO the shape doesn't work as well, plus of course these days I unfortunately don't have any use for a 4-string instrument.

• 3 weeks later...

What's your heritage like out of interest? I've only just discovered this brand this year and they intrigue me - it's kinda like the Fender vs G&L thing but Gibson vs Heritage. I'm not for the Backlund, i'm not really tempted by 50's surf style guitars, only one that takes my fancy is a Danelectro Longhorn :)

It's a '97 H150CM 'Classic' in vintage sunburst (almost an unburst) with the standard Schaller roller bridge, the neck is quite slim for a Les Paul too. Decent condition, though obviously used and with OHSC. I've replaced the pickups with a Gibson T top in the neck and a patent number in the bridge position, and they are enormously better than the original Seymour Duncan '59s. There's also one other curious feature - it's really quite bright, and not what one expects from a Les Paul. Sure it's got some meat to the tone too, but every set of PUs I've had through it have sounded brighter than I would expect.

Unfortunately at the moment it looks like the Retronix thing may not come off.

J. Backlund Designs is famed builder Bruce Bennett, formerly of Warrior Bass fame. He has been building the Backlund Guitars now for many years.

At Summer NAMM this year they introduced a bass, the JBD-800B. You can Google it and also see it on Jbacklund.com. I own that white bass, serial number 0001. You can really pull a ton of tones out of the start style pickup arrangement, and the design is comfortable and the neck is FAST. Jazz type but a little thinner and a smoother profile.

The Retronix series will have all the same design elements, with the differences being in the body and neck woods and the electronics will most likely not be Seymour Duncan. I also played the prototype Retronix guitar, and it is an amazing, Korean made guitar. The tones from the prototypes are great.

$500 US is and will be very cheap. Pledge on the kickstarter page and you can get the bass for that pledge. Definitely worth it. Most Korean made basses by most companies street for over $1000. To give you a price comparison, the MTD Kingston ZX series is made in Indonesia and streets for $1200, and this bass is and will be, IMHO, well above that bass in quality, build and tone.

You can go to my Facebook page and see the YouTube review from Premier Guitar as well as see pix of the bass.

Sonny Kenn, Asbury Park, NJ guitar legend (Bruce Springsteen actually learned from him) has a Backlund JBD-100 guitar, with Lace Alumitones, that just screams, and its passive as well.

For those of you who are curious, you can even call me at 732-966-3385 here in the US. I'm in NJ, so I'm 5 hours behind ya.

Go and get one of those basses or guitars on the kickstarter page. You pledge now, and when they reach the goal THEN you get charged. Cool concept.

tom

Oh, and I wanted to add, I've been working with Bruce for a couple of years trying to get a bass made in the JBD-100 or JBD-400 style body. The 400 is more likely, but the design dimensions to make a bass, even a short scale, happen, just didn't work. The 100 style would be my choice, but you would have to really expand the body and there was no way to incorporate a lot of the cool pick guard type work and look good. The -400 has more potential, with those cool body "horn and tail", but again, same problem, body dimensions and design make it hard to work. I'm sure at some point we'll come to a design that will work.

The Strat style pickup configuration was something that Bruce has always wanted to do, but could never find a way to do when with other companies. John Backlund came up with the more "standard" 800 series and the body design and dimensions worked perfectly with the bass and also it was a little more conventional without being the same as everything else. It also opened up a few more custom options like different trem systems, hardware and electronics.

I wish the bass was more "Backlund" and less conventional, but I have already gotten TONS of attention from using it just on one gig already since I got it last week.

I already pledged for a Korean one so I have a backup for this one. And, I'll have time to think about color.