Why become a member? ×

Suitable Desk for Studio?

charic

[quote name='Valhalalf' timestamp='1341592120' post='1721580']
I'm pretty sure you didn't offend anyone :P

With the RTA it is really easy to wheel away from the wall to get round the back of it. Plus I cable tied the mains supply to the back of it and make full use of the cable manager. This means there is only the mains lead running away from the desk at the side so everything moves with it. I could in theory unplug the mains at the wall and wheel the whole setup into another room in one go.

Nice and simple.
[/quote]
I didn't really mean "offend" I meant to type "insult anyone's desk" but all of a sudden I had a brain burp and lost the words. That seems to be happening more and more lately.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1341595463' post='1721650']
Ideally you shouldn't need to get around the back of any studio gear once it's been installed as all the necessary connections ought to brought out to a patch bays at the front where they are easily accessible.
[/quote]

+1. You should have all the controls that need editing at the front and all the controls that are permanently plugged in at the back. If you have inputs that need unplugging that are at the back of a rack unit, then you can get patch bays for 1/4" jacks and you can run multicore cables to breakout boxes from your mixer to the microphones if required.

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1341596196' post='1721662']
+1. You should have all the controls that need editing at the front and all the controls that are permanently plugged in at the back. If you have inputs that need unplugging that are at the back of a rack unit, then you can get patch bays for 1/4" jacks and you can run multicore cables to breakout boxes from your mixer to the microphones if required.
[/quote]
Ah. I don't have any patch bays with my rack stuff, so I didn't think about them. Though I should have done because as part of my desk I built a panel into it that has sockets and switches that connect to the inputs and outputs of my PC's Soundcard, which sits under my desk.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1341596698' post='1721675']
Ah. I don't have any patch bays with my rack stuff, so I didn't think about them. Though I should have done because as part of my desk I built a panel into it that has sockets and switches that connect to the inputs and outputs of my PC's Soundcard, which sits under my desk.
[/quote]

You can buy patch bays as a separate unit. Luckily my sound card has a breakout box. As you can see, I've got plenty of room to plug and unplug cables, but a patch bay or some kind of mixer would be something to think about if I couldn't reach the back of them for whatever reason.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1341597393' post='1721692']
You can buy patch bays as a separate unit. Luckily my sound card has a breakout box. As you can see, I've got plenty of room to plug and unplug cables, but a patch bay or some kind of mixer would be something to think about if I couldn't reach the back of them for whatever reason.
[/quote]
Yeah, I have a little 6 channel mixer sitting on my desk just so I don't have to get at the back of my rack, which is only an 8u ABS thing, so it's not very heavy. I'm just lazy. Although I do have stuff piled all over it that I have to take off every time I want to get at the back of it. And the midi cable attaching it to my PC is too short so I have to go under my desk to unplug that...and so on... Moving a desk on wheels might well be easier.

Edited by KingBollock