Why become a member? ×

Why does this work ?

BassMan94

Im going to be posting many dumb questions on the theory section with the things I dont "get", so bare with me ! :D

Playing brickhouse and it is in the key of G major/ E minor but also it was written A dorian. If im correct that is A b c d e f# g A.

A lick i created was a run down (sixteenth note pattern) which consisted of G(12th) F# E D C and then landing on the A of the 7th fret.

What Ive been reading into recently is Chord Tones. So its got A C E G which are the chord tones. It also contains the F# which brings A dorian scale out ?

Is this why it works or am i speaking complete rubbish ?

If theres anything you guys want to add, go for it

Not sure what 'Brickhouse' is but you say you've got A C E G as chord tones so that's Am7. if that's the chord you're playing against then yes you've hit chord tone bingo. The F# would just be a passing note as you say from the A Dorian scale, i.e. the 6th of A Dorian. Not a note you'd rest on but it sounds OK as it's from the key centre.

Jeff Berlin's point on this matter is that waffling around the A Dorian scale generally is OK but doesn't specify the chord you're playing against. So as long as you're playing on the Am7, you're bang on.

You've seen this right? [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYvUBVMqMk"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFYvUBVMqMk[/url]

(Trouble is... JB's approach has us all playing the same vanilla chord tones... where's the expression!?)

Edited by visog

Op - it makes sense from a music theory point of view, it works.

I tend to think of this kind of thing though in terms of *play random thing* Does it work? If not, work out what you did ad adjust it so it'll work within the 'rules'. If it does work or sound good, then leave it alone. I sometimes play fills that I honestly couldn't tell you how they relate to the chord without pen and paper, but they sound good to me, so.. They stay :)

A Dorian = A, B, C, D, E, F sharp, G, A

Your lick does indeed work because it contains notes from the A Dorian mode.

Chord tones are important to emphasize, don't overdo the Major 6 too much.

Whereabouts in the West Midlands are you ?

I live in Sutton Coldifeld, PM me if you want any lessons in harmony and theory. I'm just about to complete my first year at Music College. Harmony and theory are a favourite subject of mine.

Edited by Soliloquy