Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Help with DB ID?

steve

Bought this off ebay as a fixer upper, and it's now giggable, I was wondering if anyone could identify it? There's no label inside (although a rectangular stain on the wood implies there was one once).

thanks

Well it's a start Bob :) ....

A bit more info, which prolly should have gone on the first post - it's all ply, and it's physically quite a bit larger in the body than my other 3/4. It has quite a thin, erm 'flexible' finger board (which obv might have been planed previously) and a very slender neck depth.

thanks for the input chaps, i found a pic on talkbass of a musima bass which had exactly the same headstock break as mine, I dunno whether thats common with all DBs or just an indication of similar construction techniques of mine and the other bass.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1341393207' post='1718072']
I was wondering whether the neck is of a triangular section rather than the usual square. My German Blonde looks just like yours but has this neck on it. I don't know anything about mine either.
[/quote]

Actually yes, I'd describe the neck as more triangular than square

[quote name='steve' timestamp='1341663886' post='1722421']
Actually yes, I'd describe the neck as more triangular than square
[/quote]

That is interesting. I bought my bass from Peter Tyler in May 2006; he told me it was German circa 1960. It didn't have any label. Being a ply bass I use it mainly for outdoor work (not too often these days!) and it has a quite a nice growl on it with Spiro Mittels.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1341673684' post='1722600']
That is interesting. I bought my bass from Peter Tyler in May 2006; he told me it was German circa 1960. It didn't have any label. Being a ply bass I use it mainly for outdoor work (not too often these days!) and it has a quite a nice growl on it with Spiro Mittels.
[/quote]

I've got this one to use with non steel strings to avoid feedback when amplified, but the sound has a fantastic bloom when played acoustically.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1342126484' post='1730193']
Mine also has the triangular neck. It's also got a visible dovetail joint where the neck joins the body - apparently both features of basses from the east German Musima factory.
[/quote]

Well mine has the same visible dovetail joint, so it's looking likely that it's a Musima jobby