Why become a member? ×

First build - Revamp the Ibanez

samzemuel

I started to revamp my old ibanez EDbB 500 near on a year ago, well I started the sanding anyway. New house new start so a couple of days ago i got the box out of the loft to have a play.

Here is what it was like:

[attachment=111663:2011-08-01 19.15.39.jpg]

I spent a bit on upgrading this bass before I bought a new one; badass 2 bridge, u-retro preamp and new tuning pegs. The only thing I wasn't liking was the colour and finish. I now play in a covers band rather than the teenage metal band and kind of gone off the black guitar look.

Iv sanded down the body and the neck to a nice standard using different grades of paper down to 600 grit wet and dry. I need to do further sanding of the neck down to at least 600 possibly even 1000 grit.

[attachment=111672:20120627_180509.jpg]

Iv decided since seeing an arctic white fender that I wanted a bright white guitar so I found some paint, its diamond white (cheaper stuff from halfords). Here is the body primed:

[attachment=111675:20120627_205652.jpg]

And now with a few top coats:

[attachment=111674:20120628_142059.jpg]

Tomorrow is the lacquer day, Im really happy with the finish so far. Im a bit worried about the electrics as I am a complete noob with electrics.

Sam x

• 2 weeks later...

Lemon oil is for fretboards and can leave the back of the neck quite sticky. Tungsten Oil, Danish Oil, etc is the way forward. A couple of coats to seal it and then knock it back back with some 0000 grade steel wool. That body is looking very nice.