Why become a member? ×

Latest instalment in my series of daft questions

I got a good deal on a nearly new BG250 combo recently, but I found that the treble dial did not work, it seemed to increase the hiss in the output but the sound of the bass remained unchanged to my ears. I tried the combo with all my basses and got the same results each time.

I returned the combo and got a response today saying that they had tested it with....

[quote]an electic guitar, and a sine wave generator and was successfully able to alter frequencies using this dial.[/quote]

I have asked him to test using a bass rather than a guitar and let me know if he can hear an audible difference with the treble control.

Is it possible that a treble control can work and have no or limited affect on bass frequencies, so in essence its working but not working properly? :gas:

The treble control on the BG250 boosts at around 3.1KHz which isn't unusually high and should be clearly audible. Boosting the highs can have a less obvious effect than adjusting bass or mids depending on the bass, strings, playing style etc. Try playing with the treble control and strumming the strings with your nails, you should clearly hear a difference then.

Thanks for your advice.

It has gone back to the shop now, but I was testing it with the Geddy Lee with round wounds and the Aerodyne Precision with flat-wounds.

I also used those same basses against the treble control on my Ashdown LB30 amp and with that I could really here the tone being affected, my ears just couldn't hear it on the BG250.

• 3 weeks later...