Why become a member? ×

Experiences with electric viola da gamba?

BassTractor

Hi folks,

In the late seventies, I delved slightly into a viola da gamba, both bowing it vertically and plucking it horizontally. Fitted rather doably but non-OK-ishly on my lap. Ergonomics didn't exist i those days, I reckon. ;^)
With a mike and an effect pedal, I made noises that modern audiences could dig slightly.

Now I suddenly realised that electric viola da gambas might exist, and they do.
So I was wondering if they're worth the trouble, as I assume they're scarse, hand built and expensive.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1340828725' post='1710292']
Nice. Are they tuned in fourths?
[/quote]

Mostly tuned in fourths but with a major third in the middle.

[url="http://www.musicolog.com/violadagamba.asp"]http://www.musicolog.com/violadagamba.asp[/url]

[quote name='grumble' timestamp='1340820434' post='1710141']
Cracking band but not keen on the singer, YMMV of course.
[/quote]

It might, but it doesn't.
IMHO, she's got too little voice and too little interpretation, musicality, depth, expression and audience contact. Her mileage may vary of course, and the cameras may have had an impact as well for all I know.
Cracking band though.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1340895347' post='1711198']
If you go to 1.04 on the video you'll see a close up of one fret. Viola de Gambas had gut frets which were tied around the neck. easily moved. probably an intonation nightmare.
[/quote]

Gotcha. Wonder what it would be like without the 'frets'.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1340895347' post='1711198']
probably an intonation nightmare.
[/quote]

Not in my experience. They held their place very well, and if one wanted to intonate anyway, one could easily do so. Today I would be too lazy, but back in the days, I felt it was great to be able to change the intonation so it fit the key. Only when playing old music, mind you.

On another note, I felt that the sound this guy got from it was not interesting enough to ward a purchase. I hope to find other examples where the gamba sounds more historic so to speak.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1341091083' post='1713844']
On another note, I felt that the sound this guy got from it was not interesting enough to ward a purchase. I hope to find other examples where the gamba sounds more historic so to speak.
[/quote]

Likely the same problem we all face in trying to make an EUB sound like a double bass.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1341094248' post='1713873']
Likely the same problem we all face in trying to make an EUB sound like a double bass.
[/quote]

Yeah, exactly my thought and the reason I was sceptical to start with. Sceptical but hopeful.
In this vid, only slight references to the light but intensenly reverberating, quite Renaissancey sound are to be heard, and I think both lack of body and presence of some sort of pick-up are possibly making that sound an impossibility.

Ah well, it was nice to think about. Thanks for your input!

I'd be thinking in terms of an acoustic one with a piezo, a mic, 2 volume pedals (or a blend pedal) then using the piezo output for wilder effects, and only subtle "acoustic" effects on the mic output.

I built a solid electric cello a few years ago, and find it impossible to get a "natural" sound from... I can get bass-like sounds easily - just like the bloke in the video, but there's not enough resonance for a good, bowed cello sound. Even played through a line6 bass POD xt, it only really lends itself to clean bass, and heavily effected sounds. Useful when I need a [i]rock[/i] cello though.