Why become a member? ×

Warwick Dolphin Pro 1 NT 5 string '1991...

Torben Hedstrøm

I have the opportunity to purchase one of these... What do you guys think would be a fair price for a well kept one ?. The 2 basses I already have are serving me ok, so this ine should be 'just for the hell of it', so I am only willing to pay what I could shift it for if I don't like it...

Edited by Torben Hedstrøm

Best bet is to look through the sale forums here and on warwick forum. The prices over the last 6 years or si have been quite low, but you don't see many dolphin about.
1000 or so and it was a good bass I would jump on it. Over 1500 and maybe but would be looking what else it got me warwick wise

Depending on condition

All in my own opinion etc

Having tried it out today, my certainty is somewhat less confident. I really really like the thought of owning a Warwick, but seems that everytime I play one I'm less than impressed :/. This Dolphin for instance - Fairly good nick (for a '91)... A few minor scuffs, and the mandatory 'Thumb rest mark' over the neck pickup (can these be removed, by the way ?). Neck was actually allright, but there is something to them Warwicks... Every one I've tried out is like playing a chunk of granite. Very un-organic feel to them. Got that same feeling trying out the Ibanez prestige series which is considerably lighter than most Warwicks I've tried, so it's not a weight-thing.

My Stambaugh and my Elrick are both much more responsive when playing... It's really hard to explain... I just feel a bit disconnected from the Warwick basses I tried. Maybe it's a string thing ?.

Maybe it's Wengé. It has a particular feel and sound. Very dry, percussive and growly. If you're used to more traditional woods, you might be surprised, to say the least, by it. Especially since you got the same feeling with the Ibanez prestige series which also use Wengé for neck and fretboard. I would still go for it, because it's one of the best sounding bass I've ever heard (with Mec electronics though, I guess a 91s has Bartolini Pu's and preamp). But that's just me. :)

It does indeed have Barts (which is not a bas thing IMHO)... Could just be an adjustment thing with the connection to the instrument. Feels like digging into a rock !.

Price is around £1100 at the mo... Can't really figure out if it's a fair deal, or if I will lose alot of cash trying to shift it (in case it's not a keeper)...

Edited by Torben Hedstrøm

my thoughts.... if the thing doesn't jump out at you... then maybe leave it. It could be the strings,it could be the wenge, it could be a combination of the woods and the barts....
find an old streamer stage one, I found mine uber responsive and quick on the attack