Why become a member? ×

bk butler tube driver

Kev

legendary guitar valve overdrive

he has been making them again for a while now, back in april i was emailing about the possibility of him making a bass model, which he had agreed to, but i was a little short on money so i pulled out of it, but now i am temped to go for it again

link to his page:

[url="http://www.butleraudio.com/tubedriver.php"]http://www.butleraudio.com/tubedriver.php[/url]

he has told me that he has done the special bass models a couple of times before, im just wondering by any remote chance tht anyone on here know anyone who has one?

You might want to look out for the Blue Tube, which was their recommended pedal for bass when they were still in regular production. I've got the rack version, which has the bias control. This is absolutely awesome as it doesn't just change the amount of distortion but the character of the distortion as well. It's amazing and I'm really surprised more valve pedals don't have it - I mentioned it to Dave Hall once, but he said it was very difficult to pull off (something about injecting a DC signal, or something :) ).

I've also got the Real Tube which offers greater amounts of drive. I used it set with lower amounts of drive with a Rick for ages and was very happy, but found it robbed a bit of bass when using a Status Matrix.

I don't know how much he's charging for the bias feature so I can't actually say it's worth it. But it is really, really useful - it neatly gets round that 'the distortion almost sounds like I want - shame it isn't a bit grittier/smoother' feeling you can get. For the money he's asking I would have liked to have seen the Tube Driver with the bias built in.

Unless you've got the cash to spare, I'd be more inclined to keep an eye out for a Blue Tube rack. It comes with bass, mid, treble, drive, master, bias and a handy contour control, as well as switchable boost and bypass (both from the front panel or footswitch).