Why become a member? ×

Identifying a MUSICMAN?

MattB

They'll give you the exact date when they reply to you, so it is worth picking up - the value is basically what people are willing to pay in the market. Until basses become quite old, and even then only if they are sought after, do they start to increase in value again.

Have a look on Ebay at previous sales - that will give you an idea - the colour's a nice one so maybe several people would bid against each other on Ebay - I once bid on a 87 Stingray and it went way out of my price bracket for the instrument at that time - about £1300. I bid on and won my 93 fretless (same colour as yours) a couple of weeks later for just over £750. Some go for more - it just depends if there is someone who really wants the bass at the time.

[quote name='MattB' timestamp='1340661305' post='1707864']
Hi all. Thanks for such an interesting batch of replies to my thread. I did also post the serial on the ebmm link someone gave early on in the thread, but someone already gave me the answer here so I must admit I've not been back to ebmm since my initial request. I was kind of disappointed to hear someone say they thought it would only sell around £750 as it was [b]£1299 [/b]when I got it and has hardly been used (I know - a travesty!) and lived 99% of its life in a gig bag so was hoping a piece of machinery like this would hardly depreciate. Had I not had the £750 message I will admit I (perhaps ambitiously) was gonna go in at £1,000. The only reason I've not listed it yet is that I wanted to do a little more research re the value now that I knew the year.
If anyone in the know (and not just interested parties trying to mislead me!) have any input re value I'd be v grateful.

As always thanks to everyone - still the best forum around!
[/quote]

Without sounding rude I think you paid over the odds rather than it depreciating, I had a 2002 bass putting it more in the age bracket you first thought it was from, I paid £1250 for it new in 2002 but I would not of expected to of sold it for anything like what you paid for what is actually an older bass, Id of thought more like £900 tops? :)

• 1 year later...