Why become a member? ×

Identifying a MUSICMAN?

MattB

Hi - I'm looking to sell a MusicMan bass I bought years ago, but know when i post it people are going to ask me to give more information about the year of the model etc, and I can't find anything on the bass itself to help identify it.
The only writing on the bass is "Ernie Ball MUSICMAN SingRay" and "Made in San Luis Obispo, California, USA" so is this enough to give interested parties the information they need or is there some way to work out what 'year' this was?
My guess is it's about 8-years old (ish!)

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

MattB
Some pics in case it helps explain my story:
[attachment=111069:IMG_2048.JPG] [attachment=111070:IMG_2056.JPG] [attachment=111071:IMG_2050.JPG] [attachment=111072:IMG_2057.JPG]

You can get an official date from the serial number off the Ernie Ball website, plus there's [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]http://www.musicmanbass.org/[/url] which has lots of info on serials, too.

Sorry Wayne - neck plate just said MUSICMAN, but hidden under strings on saddle bridge was the detail (thanks Luke/Hamster). Thanks folks - much appreciated. And yes, it's a sunburst so MUST be at lest worth £10. I'll see...
Look for it in FOR SALE shortly :)

Matt

PS D06883 for those interested!

Edited by MattB

:angry2: I'm sorry that BC has come to this. This is a well-documented and often reported scam.
If you send these people your StingRay, chances are you'll never see your fiver or tenner or both.
Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings, but it was necessary.
£16 then? Including P&P to Norway? ;)

Cool bass.

If you go on the Ernie Ball Musicman forum, there's a sticky thread there and if you give them your serial number they'll reply with the exact DOB, colour/neck/pg spec and where it was shipped to. The musicman org site is the brain child of a great guy from Australia who's a big Musicman fan and shared all his acquired and historic knowledge of these instruments on the net - he's also a moderator at the official Musicman forum - the org site is the best (and possibly only) place for serial no info about pre EB Musicman basses.

I'd guess you should be able to get £650 to 750 for this bass. There are a lot of people who want to own Stingrays (and a select group of individuals who hate them as well!!).

It's in the oriiginal sunburst colour - at that time (late 80s to mid/late 90s) EBMM ran a custom colour called vintage sunburst, with a price uplift. Later, original sunburst was renamed honeyburst and vintage sunburst just became a regular colour called............sunburst :(confusing but true! Lovely colour though - I have one. The short bridge on yours first appeared on the 20th Anniversary Stingray in 96.

Just joined that Forum, looks quite good. I`ve just paid £680 for a `98 3-eq Stingray. Fair condition, a few battle scars, but I like that anyway - chances are if it had been pristine I wouldn`t have bought it.

Nice Ray. I too have a 2 band eq sunburst. Mine is an early 1992 model, confirmed by the serial number.

Mine has a clear acrylic scratchplate which means you get to see more of the body in that lovely colour. Although I have just ordered a mirror scratch plate off eBay.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1340454276' post='1704628']
[b]Just joined that Forum, looks quite good. [/b]I`ve just paid £680 for a `98 3-eq Stingray. Fair condition, a few battle scars, but I like that anyway - chances are if it had been pristine I wouldn`t have bought it.
[/quote]

Don't forget to tell them about your love of Fenders, they'll welcome you with open arms. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1340459659' post='1704739']
Don't forget to tell them about your love of Fenders, they'll welcome you with open arms. :D
[/quote]

Well yeah - as it's a manfacturers forum you'd expect them to not be too enamoured with people doing that - more likely just ignore it - having said that Sterling Ball did ask someone recently to 'cut Fender some slack' when they were moaning about Fender's customer service/quality control in comparison with Musicman's. However Musicman is a much smaller operation not dealing with the level of mass production as Fender - there again Fender's CEO isn't conspicuous by appearence in public to answer questions eh, Pike?

Back to the original sunburst colour on Musicman basses - the thing with that colour is the effect under stage lights - really brings the yellow up - a clear pg sounds a nice plan.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1340464692' post='1704825']
Well yeah - as it's a manfacturers forum you'd expect them to not be too enamoured with people doing that ....
[/quote]

There's lots they aren't too enamoured with. :D I'm a self confessed 2eq 'ray-phile and long standing member of the EB forum, so I know full well what goes on, what's tolerated and what's not. I find a forum where the lack of freedom to express views on the existence of other breeds of bass affects my strong sense of[color=#000000] impartiality, subsequently I rarely if ever contribute. [/color]I am a fanboy... but not that much of a fanboy.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1340467046' post='1704882']
There's lots they aren't too enamoured with. :D I'm a self confessed 2eq 'ray-phile and long standing member of the EB forum, so I know full well what goes on, what's tolerated and what's not. I find a forum where the lack of freedom to express views on the existence of other breeds of bass affects my strong sense of[color=#000000] impartiality, subsequently I rarely if ever contribute. [/color]I am a fanboy... but not that much of a fanboy.
[/quote]

Yeah I know what you mean - it was not good a few years back and I didn't go on there for about a year back then, and got seriously annoyed - but it's a lot better now - quite a few people such as Sterling Ball have actually said they like Precisions and the like. One or two people got banned for one reason or another and have dissed it since - understandable to an extent on both sides - but you can't expect to run threads on improved replacement pick ups and pre amps on a manufacturers forum eh?

Which is the point of a forum like this where you don't have to toe manufacturer rules quite so strongly! Talkbass can get a bit strange if people criticise (seemingly quite rightly) a very big manufacturer - threads get closed - one wonders if they might be a contributing sponsor by any chance??!!

The Greek - that's Rod Trussbroken's site - it's not the Musicman serial number database, which EBMM holds (because it's their manufacturing record). That said, several of my basses are listed there, but only because I gave him the info (having got it off EBMM) - it's not a complete record.

Edited by drTStingray

musicman org doesn't work
music-man org doesn't work

So if I used the correct address, then Rod's site may be the only site now for pre-EB DOBs.

The sticky at EB's official forum [url="http://forums.ernieball.com/music-man-basses/"]http://forums.ernieb...sic-man-basses/[/url] still will give you the DOB of your EBMM bass. You just ask, and they answer. One can also ask about where it was sent and what the colour is called.

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='MattB' timestamp='1340363481' post='1703306']
Hi - I'm looking to sell a MusicMan bass I bought years ago, but know when i post it people are going to ask me to give more information about the year of the model etc, and I can't find anything on the bass itself to help identify it.
The only writing on the bass is "Ernie Ball MUSICMAN SingRay" and "Made in San Luis Obispo, California, USA" so is this enough to give interested parties the information they need or is there some way to work out what 'year' this was?
My guess is it's about 8-years old (ish!)

Any thoughts very much appreciated.

MattB
Some pics in case it helps explain my story:
[attachment=111069:IMG_2048.JPG] [attachment=111070:IMG_2056.JPG] [attachment=111071:IMG_2050.JPG] [attachment=111072:IMG_2057.JPG]
[/quote]
As a matter of interest how much would you sell this bass for?

Hi all. Thanks for such an interesting batch of replies to my thread. I did also post the serial on the ebmm link someone gave early on in the thread, but someone already gave me the answer here so I must admit I've not been back to ebmm since my initial request. I was kind of disappointed to hear someone say they thought it would only sell around £750 as it was £1299 when I got it and has hardly been used (I know - a travesty!) and lived 99% of its life in a gig bag so was hoping a piece of machinery like this would hardly depreciate. Had I not had the £750 message I will admit I (perhaps ambitiously) was gonna go in at £1,000. The only reason I've not listed it yet is that I wanted to do a little more research re the value now that I knew the year.
If anyone in the know (and not just interested parties trying to mislead me!) have any input re value I'd be v grateful.

As always thanks to everyone - still the best forum around!